The Big UK Thaw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I work for a large company that supplies drinking water throughout the Midlands and it has already been suggested to expect a huge demand for repair clamps and fitting to repair burst water mains in preparation for the forecasted "big thaw".

Busy times ahead I suspect. :tongue:

Arch said:
Well, the Evening Press had "York Flood Threat" headlines in the middle of last week....

When you think about it, a couple of inches of water lying on everything, all released in a day or two, there are going to be issues...

Sadly not a new headline to the people of York! Certain areas must be sick to death of bloody floods

Arch

Married to Night Train
addictfreak said:
Sadly not a new headline to the people of York! Certain areas must be sick to death of bloody floods

I think we're pretty used to it - levels that make visitors stop and stare are routine to natives, but it's a nuisance. They'll have only just reopened Rowntree Park after the last time (it's by the river and below the level of the riverside path, so it fills up and then doesn't drain when the river goes back down. Still the ducks look smug as their park pond becomes the whole park)

I expect it'll depend on how quickly it thaws on the Dales, where the Ouse feeder rivers rise. If it stays cold up there, I guess the local meltwater has a chance to drain before the whole lot comes down.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
ComedyPilot said:
Once the snow and floods have gone, the media can carry on scaring us with the recession, unemployment and swine flu.

...and Global Warming....:tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
Is it coming down thick with you Chris? Barely a scattering here but the winds mostly from your direction.

Bayerd

Über Member
More of a problem at the moment is the wind. I've travelled over New Hey to Denshaw and then up and over Standedge this evening, there's whiteouts in some places, pretty hairy for people who may not know the road well. Also, I don't think the roads have been gritted today, but there are snow ploughs out trying to keep the roads open.

Chris James

Über Member
longers said:
Is it coming down thick with you Chris? Barely a scattering here but the winds mostly from your direction.

Pretty steadily. Been going about 2 hours and approx half an inch extra has settled in that time. The roads that had looked black for the first time since Tuesday now are covered again.

Fine flakes but the sky is full of it. The local forecast has it continuing until 3 PM tomorrow afternoon - when it changes to sleet! Stops briefly and snows again Monday night. Yikes!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's stopped snowing here, so that's good, none of this 9hrs non-stop forecast.

We've had half an inch to an inch. Rather like ChrisJ, a lot of road that were previously fairly clear are mildly more difficult. The problem isn't now it is if we get a single snow flake more.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Bayerd, it's still not doing much here yet. There's been a lot of JCBs out round this way but not today. A handy tool if you've got room to store one.

Top Bottom