The biggest dangers on the urban commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Three typical, recurring potential problems this morning:

Phone zombie not hearing my bell, or me shout, when steeping out and crossing the road in front of me.
Uber/unemployed/sat nav reliant mini-cab ( not black cab) pulling to the curb in front of me without signalling.
Works van, fast, close punishment pass.

I would say the first two of these things constitute the vast majority of potential incidents.

What's your most common near death experience?

spen666

Legendary Member
Gorillas and Yetis

winjim

Smash the cistern
Poor road surfacing and tram tracks. Chinese students.

ozboz

Guru
All the above , but also ,
The state of the roads, cycle paths,
As in pot holes , rainwater drains , ie, slots running parallel , joins in road / path surfaces deteriorating , poor finishing of repair works on roads and cycle paths , uneven flags , in London , painted surfaces of CSH's in some areas , other cyclists not paying attention , bus passengers , waiting or alighting on shared and designated cycle paths , To name s few really ,
Quite a lot of potential hazards that can and do end up quite seriously for us ,
You gotta be totally observant 110% of the time , but just have to get on with it ,

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
On my commute, a road with a segregated cycle path (raised on own level) is now one way with two No Entry signs at the start. Lost count of the number of drivers who drive right up to the signs, realise they can't get through (road closed now for ongoing works) and so U-turn by driving over the cycle path:eek:.

Also get tired of texting MP3 zombies. Almost collided with one zombie who, looking at his feet, actually stepped onto the white bike symbol on a cycle path without looking...twit.

Trickedem

Guru
My dangers vary depending on where on the commute I am. Rabbits and dog walkers near cycloPark, in Gravesend. Close passes and bad driving in Crayford. Impatient drivers on Long Lane, Bexleyheath. Cyclists and pedestrians as I get nearer London

C R

Guru
In no particular order:

• Impatient drivers
  • Distracted pedestrians
  • Poorly designed crossings between bike paths and motor vehicle roads
  • Poor road surface

Top Bottom