1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The biggest dangers on the urban commute

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by bonker, 15 Feb 2018.

1. bonker

bonker Über Member

Three typical, recurring potential problems this morning:

Phone zombie not hearing my bell, or me shout, when steeping out and crossing the road in front of me.
    Uber/unemployed/sat nav reliant mini-cab ( not black cab) pulling to the curb in front of me without signalling.
    Works van, fast, close punishment pass.

I would say the first two of these things constitute the vast majority of potential incidents.

What's your most common near death experience?
  2. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Tipper trucks.
  3. spen666

spen666 Guru

Gorillas and Yetis
    BrumJim, HLaB and Toshiba Boy like this.
  4. Associated health conditions of a sedentary lifestyle if my bike was left in the shed.
  5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

Inattentive pedestrians are the least of my problems on a commute.
    Inattentive drivers are top of the list.
  6. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

Lack of mirror checking and lack of indicating by motor vehicles, all the time, everywhere.....
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

lost somewhere
    Construction vehicles in a hurry.
    classic33 likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Guru

Motor vehicle drivers.
  9. lazybloke

lazybloke Senior Member

Surrey Hills
    All of the above, but mostly drivers not looking (or not seeing)
  10. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Poor road surfacing and tram tracks. Chinese students.
    mustang1 likes this.
  11. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Richmond ,Surrey
    All the above , but also ,
    The state of the roads, cycle paths,
    As in pot holes , rainwater drains , ie, slots running parallel , joins in road / path surfaces deteriorating , poor finishing of repair works on roads and cycle paths , uneven flags , in London , painted surfaces of CSH's in some areas , other cyclists not paying attention , bus passengers , waiting or alighting on shared and designated cycle paths , To name s few really ,
    Quite a lot of potential hazards that can and do end up quite seriously for us ,
    You gotta be totally observant 110% of the time , but just have to get on with it ,
    ADarkDraconis, classic33 and mustang1 like this.
  12. captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701 Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

On my commute, a road with a segregated cycle path (raised on own level) is now one way with two No Entry signs at the start. Lost count of the number of drivers who drive right up to the signs, realise they can't get through (road closed now for ongoing works) and so U-turn by driving over the cycle path:eek:.

Also get tired of texting MP3 zombies. Almost collided with one zombie who, looking at his feet, actually stepped onto the white bike symbol on a cycle path without looking...twit.
    classic33 likes this.
  13. spen666

spen666 Guru

bloody cyclists
  14. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

My dangers vary depending on where on the commute I am. Rabbits and dog walkers near cycloPark, in Gravesend. Close passes and bad driving in Crayford. Impatient drivers on Long Lane, Bexleyheath. Cyclists and pedestrians as I get nearer London
    ianrauk likes this.
  15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

On 3 Wheels
    Inattentive numpties regardless of how they're travelling,