The biggest dangers on the urban commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
In Coventry, the Luftwaffe.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
For me it's trying to turn right on a dual carriageway. It's around 6am, so usually quiet but you have to be prepared to claim the lane early when it's busy. There's also another roundabout where drivers are either joining or leaving the M8, and for some reason they think it's okay to run at motorway speeds way before they actually get there. On the way home, I try and avoid the first roundabout I mentioned which does mean a 400 yard stretch on the pavement. Rejoining the carriageway takes a bit of leap of faith as the drivers can see you joining from a fair distance away, and there are a few want to punish pass you for daring to get back on the road before they got passed. I have often felt, if anything was ever to go wrong, it would be here.

I know exactly where you are, it's on my commute too. I was nearly t-boned by a dozy woman coming off the slip as I was about to exit onto Seaward St.

You could always detour up the prallel shared path off Houston Street, to bypass the roundabout and get back on your route via the Toucan crossing.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two main dangers, but a multitude of problems within them
The general crap state of the roads - potholes, surface dressing breaking up, poorly re-finished holes dug by utility companies, mud, and so on
Drivers not looking (or looking but not seeing) at junctions, when pulling out of parking spaces and the general lack of indicating

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The greatest danger for me is the level of risk that I'm prepared to accept. I'm sure that others feel the same. It's not in any way suicidal, but I like the buzz. I would be riding on the pavement otherwise.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Cyclists using mobile phones whilst riding and cyclists with huge headphones have been 2 of the dangers on my commute recently.

We are not all whiter than white.

Slick

Guru
I know exactly where you are, it's on my commute too. I was nearly t-boned by a dozy woman coming off the slip as I was about to exit onto Seaward St.

You could always detour up the prallel shared path off Houston Street, to bypass the roundabout and get back on your route via the Toucan crossing.
It is still pretty much the route you suggested which is great. A couple of locals gave me a few different options at Renfrew which also helps, and cut it by almost a mile. I have noticed the path you mention, but I've got a terrible habbit of sticking to what I know, but next time I'll give that a try to see how I get on. Thanks :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yesterday...potholes/craters some with gravel erupting and other cyclists. Drivers were all surprisingly sensible, helped by there being many fewer thanks to half term

subaqua

What’s the point
All the gear no idea on a £4k carbon bike , who doesnt quite understand its not a sportive , and if they keep riding like that are sadly going to be involved in a statistic .

Top Bottom