The biggest dangers on the urban commute

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by bonker, 15 Feb 2018.

1. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Wow !!
    You got it easy up there then !
    ;)

classic33 likes this.
  2. Brandane

Brandane Rain magnet.

Cycling utopia it is not! But when it's good, it's very good. Just not in an urban setting - but you could say that about anywhere :okay:.

ozboz likes this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

In Coventry, the Luftwaffe.

Maverick Goose and ozboz like this.
  4. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

The biggest problem on the urban commutes is those bloody urbanites. What the hell are they doing in the urban areas, anyway!? :angry: :boxing: :gun: :ninja:

classic33 likes this.
  5. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

I know exactly where you are, it's on my commute too. I was nearly t-boned by a dozy woman coming off the slip as I was about to exit onto Seaward St.

You could always detour up the prallel shared path off Houston Street, to bypass the roundabout and get back on your route via the Toucan crossing.

Slick likes this.
  6. Drago

Drago Guru

Striking miners.

7. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

This time of year, Slurry spreaders.

8. Maverick Goose

Maverick Goose A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place

Whitewalkers:cold::ph34r:.

Maenchi likes this.
  9. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Two main dangers, but a multitude of problems within them
    The general crap state of the roads - potholes, surface dressing breaking up, poorly re-finished holes dug by utility companies, mud, and so on
    Drivers not looking (or looking but not seeing) at junctions, when pulling out of parking spaces and the general lack of indicating

Maverick Goose likes this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

The greatest danger for me is the level of risk that I'm prepared to accept. I'm sure that others feel the same. It's not in any way suicidal, but I like the buzz. I would be riding on the pavement otherwise.

classic33 and Markymark like this.
  11. Cyclists using mobile phones whilst riding and cyclists with huge headphones have been 2 of the dangers on my commute recently.

We are not all whiter than white.

12. Slick

Slick Veteran

It is still pretty much the route you suggested which is great. A couple of locals gave me a few different options at Renfrew which also helps, and cut it by almost a mile. I have noticed the path you mention, but I've got a terrible habbit of sticking to what I know, but next time I'll give that a try to see how I get on. Thanks :thumbsup:

classic33 likes this.
  13. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

If those are examples of the biggest dangers on your urban commute then you must live just outside Utopia.

classic33 likes this.
  14. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Yesterday...potholes/craters some with gravel erupting and other cyclists. Drivers were all surprisingly sensible, helped by there being many fewer thanks to half term

15. subaqua

subaqua Guru

All the gear no idea on a £4k carbon bike , who doesnt quite understand its not a sportive , and if they keep riding like that are sadly going to be involved in a statistic .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice