The bonk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

I commute about 18 miles most days when I can but had an insane day on Thursday. The car broke down so I had to take it in to the garage and cycle home before work. Then cycled to a conference I was attending. It ran on so had to skip lunch as I had to get back to work for an afternoon meeting. Ended up being late for the meeting as I got lost as I'd never taken the route before and ended up having to push much harder than I wanted (and thought I could wing the directions). Just finished the meeting at around 5pm when I got a call from the garage to say that the car was ready and they couldn't hold it overnight as they were really busy. So I cycled over and picked it up and totaled a fair amount of miles (more than I'm used to anyway!) - when I got home I felt a bit shaky but thought nothing of it and then had tea.

Yesterday I felt awful. Shaky and dizzy for most of the day and kept coming out in cold sweats. I made sure I ate loads and woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better (but legs heavy and a bit sore). Was it the bonk? Most of the stories I've heard of it last only for a short period and then you're ok as soon as you eat something.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would classify the bonk as something that happens whilst you are on the bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi there,

I commute about 18 miles most days when I can but had an insane day on Thursday. The car broke down so I had to take it in to the garage and cycle home before work. Then cycled to a conference I was attending. It ran on so had to skip lunch as I had to get back to work for an afternoon meeting. Ended up being late for the meeting as I got lost as I'd never taken the route before and ended up having to push much harder than I wanted (and thought I could wing the directions). Just finished the meeting at around 5pm when I got a call from the garage to say that the car was ready and they couldn't hold it overnight as they were really busy. So I cycled over and picked it up and totaled a fair amount of miles (more than I'm used to anyway!) - when I got home I felt a bit shaky but thought nothing of it and then had tea.

Yesterday I felt awful. Shaky and dizzy for most of the day and kept coming out in cold sweats. I made sure I ate loads and woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better (but legs heavy and a bit sore). Was it the bonk? Most of the stories I've heard of it last only for a short period and then you're ok as soon as you eat something.
Might be getting a cold / man flu?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I suspect you depleted your glycogen reserves by being slightly underfueled for the amount of riding you did. The Bonk people refer to is when you totally blow up on the ride and physically can't continue and have to stop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I suspect you depleted your glycogen reserves by being slightly underfueled for the amount of riding you did. The Bonk people refer to is when you totally blow up on the ride and physically can't continue and have to stop.

This ^^^^
I have seen it happen to a cyclist once.. and it's not nice.

midlife

Guru
And that's why Musettes are properly called "Bonk Bags".................. Fraid it's happened to me a few times, you simply have to stop and sit by the road, Usually my own fault for "time trialling" off the front LOL

Shaun

young Ed

Veteran
agreed it doesn't sound like a bonk but rather you simply overdid it and have a bad cold/flu
i have done some rides where i just feel shoot and end up riding like 5-8 mph when normally i would do 12-16mph but even that isn't a true bonk as this thread reveals

It sounds like you overdid it. It's happened to me before, but I don't think it's a bonk. My mate bonked on an 80 mile off-road ride, and he started crying because he thought the trees were angry with him.
must admit i laughed at this but really, that's not nice! for a grown man to start crying because the 'trees are angry at him' :sad: i will remember to bring plenty of energy now that i know how bad it really can be :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Hip Priest

Veteran
must admit i laughed at this but really, that's not nice! for a grown man to start crying because the 'trees are angry at him' :sad: i will remember to bring plenty of energy now that i know how bad it really can be :tongue:
Cheers Ed

Yeah, I know! He was totally delirious. The funny thing is, he stopped and ate loads of food, and was eventually able to finish the ride. But he was unable to lift the bike back onto his roof rack, so someone else had to do it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'd only been cycling for about 4 months and entered a really hilly "grimpeur" audax. I didn't eat enough and the last couple of hours were purgatory as I got slower and slower. I made it, but I had to call my wife to get her to come to the finish to pick me up, rather than ride the 6 miles or so home.

I was in such a bad way I couldn't figure out how to get the bike in the back of the car. I had to ask her how to do it for me. She wasn't impressed

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I suffered this in the Peak District during the TdF.

A very unpleasant experience, not only physically disabling, but your thought processes become scrambled; I was having to get off the bike and walk down some of the hills! :eek:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If it was the flu as some are suggesting, you wouldn't be on here!

Nail on the head, right here:

Your body was probably just recovering, hence feeling so awful.

Top Bottom