the bottom bracket problem with modern bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The problem with old style square taper bb's is getting modern10sp compact 50/34 chainrings to fit on the new crank arms i would have to use on the old style bb.
What's the difficulty with that? I thought that only a few oddities like TA Cyclotourist maxed out at 8sp, but the only bike here with more speeds is too young to need new chainrings yet. I'd love to know the problem before I need to deal with it. TIA :smile:

si_c

Guru
The problem with old style square taper bb's is getting modern10sp compact 50/34 chainrings to fit on the new crank arms i would have to use on the old style bb.
At least now i have a cheaper option of renewing just the drive side bearing and maintaining the non drive one.
Spa cycles?

screenman

Legendary Member
Surely people spending money helps create jobs, not a bad thing I would hope. There must be some people about with mattresses very close to the ceiling on here.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Surely people spending money helps create jobs, not a bad thing I would hope. There must be some people about with mattresses very close to the ceiling on here.
It creates jobs in the waste management sector I suppose. And didn't one of the participants of this thread recently create a job by stuffing enough cash under his mattress that he could afford to retire in his 40s?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
It creates jobs in the waste management sector I suppose. And didn't one of the participants of this thread recently create a job by stuffing enough cash under his mattress that he could afford to retire in his 40s?

No, he was committed enough to stick in a job that gave as he knows a very generous pension for the amount paid in.

winjim

Smash the cistern
No, he was committed enough to stick in a job that gave as he knows a very generous pension for the amount paid in.
That's just outsourcing the mattress stuffing really.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thread of the year, especially the bit about filling the bars with water and then freezing it :laugh::laugh:

What is wrong with that guy :laugh::laugh:

Someone involved in local racing told me ice in tubes is a known way to cheat a pre-race weigh-in.

Same guy told me that when there's a spot post-race check, there will often be a rider or two who decline to have their bikes checked and times validated because "there's no point as I took a wrong turn'.

S-Express

Someone involved in local racing told me ice in tubes is a known way to cheat a pre-race weigh-in.

Same guy told me that when there's a spot post-race check, there will often be a rider or two who decline to have their bikes checked and times validated because "there's no point as I took a wrong turn'.

There are no pre-race weight checks in local races in the UK though. And any checks post race - well, the ice will have melted by then. Assuming you aren't racing in sub-zero temperatures, obviously.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are no pre-race weight checks in local races in the UK though. And any checks post race - well, the ice will have melted by then. Assuming you aren't racing in sub-zero temperatures, obviously.
Pre-race equipment checks were added to the BC rules for 2017 (2017 Regulation updates) but I think that's mainly because they're looking more closely for stealth e-bikes.

S-Express

Pre-race equipment checks were added to the BC rules for 2017 (2017 Regulation updates) but I think that's mainly because they're looking more closely for stealth e-bikes.

I know about the regs, but those regs do not refer to mandatory checks and nothing like that happens at local/regional level. They simply give organisers the right to conduct checks if needs be. The only mandatory pre-race checks currently are gear rollout checks in youth events.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
From what I was told, there are occasional spot checks at local level, although those doing them cannot compel a rider to have his bike checked.

Anyone who simply says 'no' would be branded a cheat by the other competitors, hence the route fail and other excuses for not submitting to a check.

There's lots of flaws in the ice cheat, but it's certainly a method that is talked about even though I've never met anyone who says they've actually seen or done it.

Top Bottom