The British winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Define "Worst".

domtyler

Über Member
My best ever winter was when the snow came up to here *points* and my second best was when the snow came up to here *points*.

My best winter was when my shorts came up to here *points* and my second best winter was when my shorts came up to... here... *points*

postman

Legendary Member
Mike and Bernie plus a stupid dog.On the telly ages ago.

ChrisKH

Guru
1963/64 was a bad winter but a good one for me.

Not so much a bad winter as a 'good' bad night on New Year's eve 1977 or 1978; I was working in a nightclub (illegally) collecting glasses. Cycled to work. Went in at 8.00 pm came out at 2.30 am and the snow had fallen 2 feet and drifted. I only had a leather jacket and gloves on so had to stuff bar towels down the front, back and arms. We had great fun cycling home (had a home built bike with slightly nobbly 26" tyres at the time and cow horn bars).

Haven't had a full British winter since 1992-93, and not many since 1982-83 when I started 'travelling' for proper.
Apparently 1963-64 was bad (I was three) and have a vague memory of push-pedalling my little car around the house cos I wasn't allowed outside.
1979-80 (I think) was a bad one, as six consecutive Saturday rugby matches were cancelled because the ground was frozen.

My best one was in Norway in 1986-87 when it went down to -47, and didn't get above -35 for six weeks. There was about 4-5 foot of snow and BLUE skies for a couple of hours a day when the sun was over the horizon. Plenty of cross country skiing and snow scooter driving.

1996-97 was good (also in Norway), supposedly studying. Skiing (XC, downhill, snowboard, Telemarking) for six months, MTBing in the forests and mountains, trekking, ski-touring, ball sports (:biggrin:), oh, and minimal studying.

medals

1981/82. Cycled to work throughout the winter and I remember my brakes and gears freezing solid on a number of occasions. Ended up carrying car de-icer with me.
Miserable weather, miserable job!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Early 1987 - I was a student and it was very cold, the snow lay on the Downs in Bristol for ages, and motorists kept offering poor students lifts. (And many of my friends pipes froze in the their unheated houses and so they had to use the sports facilities showers and sinks instead.
And when I was a kid - sometime in the 70's I remember lots of snow too.

graham56

Guru
Apart from Mike & Bernie as Postman says, the worst i remember was the winter of 1962-63. It snowed in December and was still around until March, absolutely brilliant as a young-un.Think the sledge was out every day after school and all weekend, nothing else to do really.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yep, 1962/63 was bad, In late december it initially rained in London and then froze. Then it snowed heavily on top and then repeated the pattern for a couple of months. There was still snow in our school playground in early march. !981/2 ws also quite bad, but that was the year I got married so it might of been an omen.

Top Bottom