The Brommie Blacklist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thread resurrection.

Just got an email from facilities where I am working telling me that under no circumstances can I keep a folding bike under my desk as it "would pose a health and safety issue." I suppose I can see their point. Someone could easily be terribly injured, or be made very ill, by a bike under a desk.

I can, however store it in the basement car park (oh goody) however "all the cycle bays are currently occupied by other staff members". Quite what these people are doing occupying cycle bays when they should be working, I don't know.

Which, to be honest, is a bit of a relief really as I don't like commuting by bike in London.

mitchibob

Über Member
I'm allowed to ride my bike through the moo.com offices in Farringdon, as long as the tyres are dry.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thread resurrection.

Just got an email from facilities where I am working telling me that under no circumstances can I keep a folding bike under my desk as it "would pose a health and safety issue." I suppose I can see their point. Someone could easily be terribly injured, or be made very ill, by a bike under a desk.

I can, however store it in the basement car park (oh goody) however "all the cycle bays are currently occupied by other staff members". Quite what these people are doing occupying cycle bays when they should be working, I don't know.

Which, to be honest, is a bit of a relief really as I don't like commuting by bike in London.
I got exactly the same message when I moved into a new office six years ago. I simply ignored it and no-one has ever challenged me.

Bike riding is the best way of commuting in London bar none and I look forward to getting back to it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a contractor employed by a third party, so I don't want to play fast and loose with their rules. If I was an employee it might be different. It seems my only option would be to buy a cheap clunker and an expensive lock and use the lamppost outside option. Which, given that I don't much like cycling in town isn't going to happen.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm a contractor employed by a third party, so I don't want to play fast and loose with their rules. If I was an employee it might be different. It seems my only option would be to buy a cheap clunker and an expensive lock and use the lamppost outside option. Which, given that I don't much like cycling in town isn't going to happen.
Get them to place you elsewhere.

View attachment 335018
Not sure if welcome, so I didn't ask.
Always thought you were a bit wet.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, facilities departments and health and safety.

Some years back in the dibble we were told not to put stuff on top of our lockers because it was highly dangerous, and some nuns, orphans, or even puppy dogs might die a hideous death. Never mind that the lockers they gave us were too small for all our work it.

Anyway, a colleague did a FOI request to the local health and safety people and they responded that they had never had an accident or near miss from an object mysteriously leaping off the top of a locker reported to them since their records began.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ask to see the risk assessment.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No

As I said I'm a contractor representing a third party. Their gaff, their rules. End of. Different if I was an employee.

Can you bag it and still keep it under your desk?

IBarrett

Über Member
I was at the M&S head office in Paddington today and because I wanted to get back to St Pancras ASAP after the meeting I took my Brompton
The facilities people there couldn't have been nicer.
They have those little sheep pen security gates and they have one which is wider and stays open longer which they advised me to use.
And up on the floor we were meeting on was a space for 'commuter' gear. Coat hangers for waterproofs, a shelf for crash helmets and space under the coat hangers for folding bikes.
I 'parked' my red Brompton next to somebody else's yellow one.
They looked cute all folded up and stood next to each other.

And I had a marvellous ride down Edgeware Road. I love riding a bike in London traffic, and there are so many bus/taxi/bike lanes, it's wonderful.

subaqua

What’s the point
Thread resurrection.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/Myth/myth-busting/index.htm

may be very interested in the bollox being spouted in the name of elfinsayfertee

The greatest advantage of the Brommie and other folders is to be able to go where no other bike is allowed. Well almost. It might be useful to know, in advance, of where we might meet resistance and any workarounds. Personally I haven't had any problem an IKEA Dimpy bag couldn't solve but from other threads I have noted ...

Not Welcome:
National Portrait Gallery
Pallant Gallery, Chichester

OK Bagged:
National Express Coaches

Any more to add?
Out amongst the General Public ?

Top Bottom