The Brommie Blacklist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
The greatest advantage of the Brommie and other folders is to be able to go where no other bike is allowed. Well almost. It might be useful to know, in advance, of where we might meet resistance and any workarounds. Personally I haven't had any problem an IKEA Dimpy bag couldn't solve but from other threads I have noted ...

Not Welcome:
National Portrait Gallery
Pallant Gallery, Chichester

OK Bagged:
National Express Coaches

Any more to add?

In a how-to-fold-a-brommie-fast thread GregCollins said that Brommies were not welcome in:

Cuckfield Co-operative Stores.
BT Tower.
Cloakroom of the National Gallery.

Boo Hiss!!!

M :hello:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Welcome in cloakroom at One Great George St (Institution of Civil Engineers)

But then if I'm booking rooms for a day conference at well over £10k it bloody well should be.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Welcome unbagged at the NCVO offices in Kings Cross and in your room at the Barcelo Hotel Oxford (who will even let you put a full sized bike in your room!) and in the Commonwealth Club in London.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Not sure how useful this info is, but the Barcelo Hotel in Valencia are also very cool with Brommies, folded or otherwise. Flown with it in a bag on Easyjet without being made to pay the "Sporting Equipment" supplement, even though it says Brompton on the bag.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
In a how-to-fold-a-brommie-fast thread GregCollins said that Brommies were not welcome in:

Cuckfield Co-operative Stores.
BT Tower.
Cloakroom of the National Gallery.

Boo Hiss!!!

M :hello:
he also mentioned the Pallant Gallery in Chichester.

Brommyboy

Über Member
My practice is always to fold and bag the Brommy - if it does not look like a bicycle then it often is not noticed. Fits Virgin Pendolino racks with ease.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
The greatest advantage of the Brommie and other folders is to be able to go where no other bike is allowed. Well almost. It might be useful to know, in advance, of where we might meet resistance and any workarounds. Personally I haven't had any problem an IKEA Dimpy bag couldn't solve but from other threads I have noted ...

Not Welcome:
National Portrait Gallery
Pallant Gallery, Chichester

OK Bagged:
National Express Coaches

Any more to add?
Tescos in Bridgend won't allow it to be used as a Trolley. M&S in Cardiff do!

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
Tescos in Bridgend won't allow it to be used as a Trolley
Or was it because you were wearing Lycra? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8484116.stm
Tesco in Wales does seem a bit uptight. Why not emigrate? Trolleying Brommies are welcome in my local co-op. lidl & sainsbury.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Or was it because you were wearing Lycra? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8484116.stm
Tesco in Wales does seem a bit uptight. Why not emigrate? Trolleying Brommies are welcome in my local co-op. lidl & sainsbury.
Lyrca? Meeee? If I bought Lycra the price would shoot up in the rest of the world due to a shortage or raw materials and there would be reports of dying hot air balloons... I've been to the Tesco in St Mellons and I would imagine that the manager has realised that the customers in PJs are the same chavvy scum that normally shop there, but this is one way that he can cut down on their numbers .

As for every other supermarket I've never had any trouble, but the (little)Tesco in Bridgend has IMHO the worst customer service of any I have ever been in,( although not as bad as that experienced at any Tesco fuel forecourt)

trsleigh

Only place I've ever been ejected from with my Brommie was the Griffin pub, next to Brentford FC. Pub very quiet, just two old boys & dog scenario but me & my mate were ordered out. Annoying as this pub is probably less than a mile from Brompton factory.
A few weeks ago I got chatting to Will Butler-Adams ( CEO Brompton ) while we were both waiting at Hyde Park Corner on our Bromptons. I told him about the Griffin and he said maybe he should organise a works outing on Brommies to the pub.^_^
I wonder if he did.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
blimey! A bit different to the Griffin in Shoreditch, which welcomes Brommies. Then again, men have penetrative sex in the toilets, so it's probably a bit more easy going than its namesake in Brentford.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Blue Fin Building (home of IPC Media Ltd) in Southwark. I used to fold mine as I came in through the front door and keep it under my desk, until the Health & Safety Nazis decreed that all bikes, including folders, must be kept in the basement bike store. Which is fine if you work here, but visitors don't have access to the bike store.

d.

GFamily

Über Member
Was very welcome (bagged) at the cloakroom of the Palace Theatre Manchester. I understand they even called other staff members over to look at it while we were enjoying the performance.

Top Bottom