The Brommie Blacklist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karlie

The only place I was barred from was my office! That was until I agreed to cover it up. Other than that I have always had a positive reponse wherever I have taken it. Folded up, some people tend to think it is a type of aide for the physcally disabled. They then ingratiate themselves out of fear of being seen as discriminatory!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not welcome, in any way shape form or receptacle, in the offices of Horsham District Council. But I'm on a mission to change that.:cursing:

Welcome, folded and unbagged in The Griffin, Fletching, East Sussex (one of the finest gastropubs in SE England) well worth a detour for.

LilacM3L

Regular
London knowledge:

Welcome:
- Cloakrooms at the Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth rooms, Purcell, National etc - pretty much all of the South Bank centre.
- Most restaurants at the Brunswick centre in Bloomsbury.
- Various pubs and restaurants in the West End - the key is to act like you expect them to accommodate you. They generally will, and if they don't, you leave.
- Fitness First in Angel have kept my bike behind the reception desk for me. As has the Caledonian Road Tennis centre.
- I have also checked my Brompton at the Royal Albert Hall and at even a few night clubs before.
- The Oxford Tube will take it down below (though I recommend you D-lock it in a folded position to deter opportunists when the bus makes stops - and beware, if the compartment is empty, it will be thrown around when the bus brakes)
- South West Trains, obviously.
- TfL - provided it's folded. I've taken my Brompton on many a bus and overground train. Never tried the tube tho.

Not welcome:
The Mitre pub near Hatton Garden. There just isn't room, to be fair, but they can be really shirty about it.

On reflection, I'm surprised to find that I've never tried my luck at a cinema. Anyone have experience?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For the record - on Chiltern Railways commuting stock (class 165), if you use the 2+2 compartments nearest the driver's seat, a Brompton fits neatly between the seat backs. The long-distance class 168s are a different story.

In theory my London office bans them, but I've never been challenged.

TFL/Underground? Folded? Nay bother. ime.
Are allowed, but folded only if it's deep level. Which you don't necessarily know in advance. I've done it once (we were heading off somewhere and needed to cross London having come down from the North, bags front and rear on both bikes, it was raining at Euston so we decided to tube it instead. Then decided to take them down unfolded as it's much easier to manhandle 1x bike with luggage attached than to manhandle 1x folded bike + 2 bags each. Got them down to the platform perfectly unscathed, then had a panicked staff member dash over to us to get us to fold them. Then we needed to take the tube with them folded (!) so 3 things to juggle each. Much easier to ride, TBH, but at the time finding waterproofs in the bags and changing etc etc didn't seem appealing. Plus cycling in London is not for the faint of heart. I quite enjoy it now but the first few times...

LilacM3L

Regular
Official TfL line:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/bicycle-tube-map.pdf

You are not allowed to take an unfolded bicycle on the Tube on weekdays between 0730 and 0930 or between 1600 and 1900
At all other times you may take your unfolded bicycle on parts of the Tube network highlighted in pale green on the map [see link above]
However, folded bicycles can be carried on any Tube line at any time

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For the record - on Chiltern Railways commuting stock (class 165), if you use the 2+2 compartments nearest the driver's seat, a Brompton fits neatly between the seat backs. The long-distance class 168s are a different story.

In theory my London office bans them, but I've never been challenged.
perhaps rank has its privileges? ;-)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
10/10 for UBS up at Broadgate/Finsbury Avenue. Chuffin fleet of in-house Bromptons, in cycle racks in the main lobby for staff use. Didn't bat an eye at mine.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've literally never had an issue with mine folded and unbagged in any London pub, restaurant, shop or theatre I've been to.

M&S are the best: they happily put it behind the Customer Services desk while I wander round unencumbered.

Top Bottom