The Canal. The cycle rage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I found people don't jump so much at ringers or ding-dongs as they do at pingers

I'm surrounded by shared-use paths, so I wouldn't be without a bell. I've been pleasantly surprised since fitting one of these

adjustabell-2-silver.jpg

(necessitated by having 31.8mm bars that most bells won't fit). It has a sound that can only be described as mellifluous and the reaction from pretty well all the pedestrians I've encountered has been friendly and cooperative.

I gave up on the canals, I'd pick up the Regents near Pitfield St and ride east but there was too much grief even at half four when I was on the way home. Joggers, dogs, kids learning to ride, anglers who a couple of times shouted "Where's your pass", beer users, dawdlers, and idiots on bikes going too fast. I did actually collide with a jogger but in my defence I rang the bell and went right to overtake and she swung right at the same time. She had earphones in that I hadn't noticed.

I gave it up and used the roads, it was faster with less grief.

Glenn, sensible post. I had to check twice that it was indeed you.

MarkF

Guru
  1. If coming up behind someone that is unaware of your approach then slow and get within earshot before verbally making your presence known. I find a simple 'morning', or 'excuse me' is sufficient but by far the best is 'can I pass please?' as this only really gives them one option. The answer is never no!

That made me chuckle, I am going out on the towpath shortly, like I do nearly every day. It's always well used. If I ring my bell, I'll often get tuts, raised eyebrows and maybe a shake of the head, any of these may be accompanied by a reluctance to move at all. If I decide to not use my bell and say "Excuse me please", a common reply is "Where's your fookin bell"? ^_^

andyfraser

Über Member
I use a bell from a distance to save shouting and call out when I'm closer. I find that that works quite well, unless someone is wired for sound.

I tried riding in distressed flares... no aero at all and keep getting caught in the chain.
Did they only become 'distressed' when you tried to squeeze into them?:tongue:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I don't get this thread at all!

I am what could easily be labelled an 'enthusiastic' cyclist and I certainly like to 'push on' when riding, even on shared use paths/canal towpaths. However, I have never got riled, or into a confrontation, when riding on such a path as I have a system.
The system goes like this:
  1. Remove bells from all bikes upon purchase.
  2. Engage brain before riding bike in a public place (I do actually do this before anyone makes a smartarse comment :tongue:).
  3. Upon approaching any situation where there is a possible danger or conflict, reduce speed to an appropriate level before arrival.
  4. If meeting someone head on, assess the likelihood of them moving to one side and if this is unlikely then do not hesitate to stop or move over yourself.
  5. If coming up behind someone that is unaware of your approach then slow and get within earshot before verbally making your presence known. I find a simple 'morning', or 'excuse me' is sufficient but by far the best is 'can I pass please?' as this only really gives them one option. The answer is never no!
  6. ALWAYS say thank you when someone has moved to let you pass, smile and mean it!
  7. Use your awesome power to regain any lost speed.
I find this system works perfectly and allows all involved to continue about their business and have a pleasant day. Any loss in speed/extra time taken is more than compensated for by not wasting time arguing with twots, climbing out of the canal or doing the Tango with indecisive peds. You also arrive at your destination feeling relaxed and that all is good in the world.
Or...to summarise.

Act like a human and practice common sense

That made me chuckle, I am going out on the towpath shortly, like I do nearly every day. It's always well used. If I ring my bell, I'll often get tuts, raised eyebrows and maybe a shake of the head, any of these may be accompanied by a reluctance to move at all. If I decide to not use my bell and say "Excuse me please", a common reply is "Where's your fookin bell"? ^_^

I shout "ding ding" :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes I understand share. Now put all your comments as coming from a car driver. How much of a selfish nob do you look now . But you crack on with wanting all the " rights" and wanting none of the responsibilities .
There are places where motorists have priority. Where is there that people on bikes have priority, in your opinion? (Or the opinion of any other people who think cyclists should use the roads almost always.)

As for segregated . Well look at CS2 . I ride in the road as it's safer as it isn't flooded or full of shite. But it's the way forward apparently
Well, it would be, if they'd designed and built it properly. Or even the not-quite-right design could work if they built it better so it didn't flood so much and swept it a bit more often. I share the exasperation at how this country seems unwilling or incompetent at building cycleways like those enjoyed elsewhere in Europe. I view segregation with suspicion - if a protected cycleway was good enough, then they wouldn't need to make it difficult for people to ride out of, to avoid a problem - but we should flame the highway authorities to hell for micturating our money up the wall yet again, not tell everyone we should meekly accept no space for cycling.

Top Bottom