The Capri Lives on - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
In those days cars didn't have keys - they were sold with McDonalds straws to unlock the car and start the engine.
In the mid 70s, Leeds police told us that you only needed 6 keys to unlock all the Fords in Britain.
todays "supermini" Fiesta is basically equivalent to the original "family saloon" Cortina.
1679663187810.jpeg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I owned a Marina Estate for a few years. It had the same engine in it as the old Morris Oxford (that I had owned previously), which I think was about 20 years old when the Marina was produced.

Had a Marina too, with a 1.3 Cooper S engine but was quite sedate.
I understand the 1.7 was very much more "lively"; not necessarily in a good way!

I knew an old chap in Leeds who talked fondly of driving his lass to Scarborough in a 1.7 Coupe. He said it would "fly up Sutton Bank" :ohmy:

Alex321

Veteran
Had a Marina too, with a 1.3 Cooper S engine but was quite sedate.
I understand the 1.7 was very much more "lively"; not necessarily in a good way!

I knew an old chap in Leeds who talked fondly of driving his lass to Scarborough in a 1.7 Coupe. He said it would "fly up Sutton Bank" :ohmy:

It was the 1.7 I had, but in the estate it wasn't all that lively. It had enough for what we wanted though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had two Capris, a 1.6 Mk1 Facelift and a 1600 Mk 2. The first was ok, the second a pile of crap.

I'll also admit to two Marinas, dog slow with awful handling but a piece of P to work on. You could change a front lever arm suspension unit in about fifteen minutes and the rocker cover came off after removing just two bolts. Although I never had to do it, removing the camshaft just involved taking the grill and rocker cover off, tying the pushrods so they didn't drop, and after undoing the little cover on the front of the block pulling the shaft out.

Probably easier than fitting and cabling front and rear mechs on your bike.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
They were as it goes, although I can't go into any descriptive details for fear of having my thighs thrashed by the mods. I'm sure you can bend your imagination over the problem to get to the seat of the issue.

Only once but I did the gears and rear brake while she did the steering throttle etc . Then we found a cobbled street which was proper chuckle.

The only thing that stopped me feeling super cool was the fact it was her bike .

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Had a 1.6 L Mk3 Capri as my first car. Used to love it, even though it was pretty slow. Nothing went wrong with it and it was abused and had 70K miles when purchased. I'm sure the new one will be nothing like it though. The only remake can recall that looks good is the Fiat 500, even though it's a bit bigger, its not overly bloated like the rest seem to be.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Talk about blast-from-the-past - boss's son used to cruise around in a Capri 2.8i similar to this one, window rolled down, arm resting on the window ledge, Mr Cool in his shades, at least until he overcooked it and fishtailed it into a massive wet drainage ditch alongside a farmers field (not so many rear wheel drives nowadays):

1679682890894.png

Thankfully him and his mates got out with just a few bruises and scratches, but another co-worker did virtually the same with a 3 Litre Manta a week later! :eek:

Jameshow

Veteran
Had a 1.6 L Mk3 Capri as my first car. Used to love it, even though it was pretty slow. Nothing went wrong with it and it was abused and had 70K miles when purchased. I'm sure the new one will be nothing like it though. The only remake can recall that looks good is the Fiat 500, even though it's a bit bigger, its not overly bloated like the rest seem to be.

Mini looks much nicer than either the fiat 500 or the beetle!

presta

Guru
I had two Capris, a 1.6 Mk1 Facelift and a 1600 Mk 2. The first was ok, the second a pile of crap.

My third car was a 1600XL Mk1 facelift. I still remember all the stuff it had done, but that might be because I did it all myself rather than that it was troublesome. I never regarded it as unreliable.

Apart from the usual consumables, from 50k miles when I got it, to 106k when I sold it, it had
Clutch
Leaf spring
Fuel guage sender
Cam belt
Brake servo
Repair stone chip leak in radiator
Recon alternator
New rectifier in 2nd alternator
Renew stone chipped headlamp
New washers on anti-roll bar end

Last edited:
My Dad had 2 Capris
First was Bronze coloured mark 1 - probably 1.3

Many years later he had an X reg Capri Calypso special edition
Only 1.6 but had 2 tone paint and wide wheels and tyres
Went round corner with loads of grip which was fine until you tried to manoever at slow speed with wide tyres and no power steering - and my Dad had to visit a lot of people on estates which involved a lot of 3 point turns

and it was the last car I saw that only had 4 gears
(except a 2CV but that doesn't really count!)
so fuel economy was not so good

He replaced it with an Austin Meastro - oh the tales I could tell about that!!!!!!

Top Bottom