The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
First one on a building from after 1960. Local church(CofE), Sunnybank Road.
CAM00830.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
IMG_20180208_132948425.jpg
On the Union canal , Falkirk
IMG_20180208_132903437.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
Over 60 odd bleedin' bridges on that canal and that's just heading one way:laugh:

I assume you enjoyed the run through the Dark Tunnel just along the towpath:ohmy:
The wheel and tunnel are closed.
I hadn't been on the Union before today.
I wanted to see how to get on to it from the Forth and Clyde.
Went up the hill, through the car park , saw a few signs up a short street. Not very helpful but I had a look and went over a railway bridge and found the Union path.

Not sure if we are going to use it for a Glasgow to Edinburgh return 100 mile run or not.
Any route suggestions welcome.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The wheel and tunnel are closed.
I hadn't been on the Union before today.
I wanted to see how to get on to it from the Forth and Clyde.
Went up the hill, through the car park , saw a few signs up a short street. Not very helpful but I had a look and went over a railway bridge and found the Union path.

Not sure if we are going to use it for a Glasgow to Edinburgh return 100 mile run or not.
Any route suggestions welcome.
If it's still closed,here is a workaround...

From the Wheel, you head up the path that follows the fence, heading to the aquaduct. You go through one smaller tunnel (there is a cut mark on it as you enter) then cycle eastwards and after the bridge you found with the cut mark, there is a path which heads up a short path to Slamannan Rd,(I just walk my bike up the steep access bit), turn left then look for and first right,follow a blue sign up a side track, up past a kids nursery, keep on the path which brings you to Lionthorn Rd, cross the road and work your way a path to another road, turn right to head to California, and across the road is the entrance on to the Union Canal.

I managed a 50 to the Kelpies and that was from Port Glasgow.
The run through to Edinburgh is good but 60 odd awkward bridges
This may help from Falkirk HERE

The Dark Tunnel is over 660 yards long, an amazing and freaky cycle through, oh, Burke and Hare worked on this canal so watch yourself. It's worth the visit just for the eerie lighting effects.
Dark Tunnel.jpg

Feel free to let me know if I can help further

Your path up to Slamannan Rd, is literally just before where I took this photo (the Dark Tunnel entrance)
37506405976_3117af9f36_z.jpg

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran

From the Wheel, you head up the path that follows the fence, heading to the aquaduct. You go through one smaller tunnel (there is a cut mark on it as you enter) then cycle eastwards and after the bridge you found with the cut mark, there is a path which heads up a short path to Slamannan Rd,(I just walk my bike up the steep access bit), turn left then look for and first right,follow a blue sign up a side track, up past a kids nursery, keep on the path which brings you to Lionthorn Rd, cross the road and work your way a path to another road, turn right to head to California, and across the road is the entrance on to the Union Canal.

The Dark Tunnel is over 660 yards long, an amazing and freaky cycle through, oh, Burke and Hare worked on this canal so watch yourself. It's worth the visit just for the eerie lighting effects.
View attachment 395094

Your path up to Slamannan Rd, is literally just before where I took this photo (the Dark Tunnel entrance)
View attachment 395098
Thanks for all that.

We might look at going to the Kelpies then along to Kincardine bridge , over into Fife, back via Forth Bridge .
No idea what the route back to Glasgow would be .
Possibly , back to Falkirk and the canal.

classic33

Leg End Member

View attachment 395094

View attachment 395098

Obviously they were slackers, able to go off and earn some easy money on the side.

slow scot

Veteran
Thanks for all that.

We might look at going to the Kelpies then along to Kincardine bridge , over into Fife, back via Forth Bridge .
No idea what the route back to Glasgow would be .
Possibly , back to Falkirk and the canal.
Or from South Queensferry pick up the John Muir Trail going west.

Top Bottom