The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hopefully I'll be riding again by then Martin, may well participate.

I did it last year with a mate , choose your own route and visit as many or few as you want same with miles , more than welcome to join me this year we did 50 miles last year and got soaked

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Drago

View attachment 357643
Just have to see what cover the service is for. Using magnifying, lettering all blurred.
lid (600 x 337).jpg

Post Office Telegraphs...
so why CP rather than GPO, who knows!

a couple found in the area
Bolt in the local Kirk
Elderslie, Kirk (337 x 599).jpg

As I snapped this, they were all inside singing like linties:laugh:
I had to go and look at the local area until they closed the doors in case, I got hauled in for some religion.:thumbsdown:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A productive days riding today!

Milton Keynes village was interesting.

IMG_2151.JPG

Cut Mark on All Saints church (which is also a Trig).

IMG_2150.JPG

And this paint encrusted Bench Mark on Manor Farm, SP 88842 39092, that is a few yards from the church, but doesn't appear to be on any databases. I can't work the number out.

Next, a few miles away, was a Rivet in Parklands.

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

Hidden under freshly mown grass.. TP0263

From there, yet again, a few miles away, the Trig Point pillar I was aiming for.

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

TP3336, BM7190 near Mill Farm on the road to Gayhurst. The spider has been remover from the top, but a plaque, and the OS plate are there.

Finally, on the way though Haversham,

IMG_2137.JPG

A Cut Mark on St Marys church.

Not a bad haul!!

:okay:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 357721
Post Office Telegraphs...
so why CP rather than GPO, who knows!

a couple found in the area
Bolt in the local Kirk
View attachment 357723
As I snapped this, they were all inside singing like linties:laugh:
I had to go and look at the local area until they closed the doors in case, I got hauled in for some religion.:thumbsdown:
You're not alone on this
http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/55-gpo/hardware/148-gpo-street-furniture

Post 1969?
Post Office Telecommunications was set up as a separate department of the UK Post Office, in October 1969. The Post Office Act of that year was passed to provide for greater efficiency in post and telephone services; rather than run a range of services, each organisation would be able to focus on their respective service, with dedicated management. By law, the Post Office had the exclusive right to operate the UK national telecom network, and limited ability to license other providers' services and equipment.

The 1970s was a period of great expansion for the Post Office. Most exchanges were modernised and expanded, and many services, such as STD and international dialling were extended. By the early 1970s, subscribers in most cities could dial direct to Western Europe, the US, and Canada; by the end of the decade, most of the world could be dialled direct. The System Xdigital switching platform was developed, and the first digital exchanges began to be installed. The Post Office also procured their own fleet of vans, based on the Commer FC model. However, progress came at a price. Investment was stifled by public spending limits, and long waiting lists for telephone lines developed, sometimes for years.

In 1979 the Conservatives decided that telecommunications should be fully separated from the Post Office. By 1981, the British Telecommunications Act was passed and the service became British Telecom in October that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Telecommunications

http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6054

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Good skills Pete. I go thorough Haversham a lot - I'm there Tuesday to drop off Lemmy at the dog sitters.

Where did you find that cut mark on the Church?

The Gayhurst trig is one I found early on in the thread. Were now getting duplicates ;)
The cut mark is on a buttress on the NE aspect.
I'd forgotten that you'd nabbed the Gayhurst TP. Did you scramble through the nettles from the road, or use the footpapublic footpath the up the field side?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You're not alone on this
http://www.telegraphpoleappreciationsociety.org/55-gpo/hardware/148-gpo-street-furniture

Post 1969?
Post Office Telecommunications was set up as a separate department of the UK Post Office, in October 1969. The Post Office Act of that year was passed to provide for greater efficiency in post and telephone services; rather than run a range of services, each organisation would be able to focus on their respective service, with dedicated management. By law, the Post Office had the exclusive right to operate the UK national telecom network, and limited ability to license other providers' services and equipment.

The 1970s was a period of great expansion for the Post Office. Most exchanges were modernised and expanded, and many services, such as STD and international dialling were extended. By the early 1970s, subscribers in most cities could dial direct to Western Europe, the US, and Canada; by the end of the decade, most of the world could be dialled direct. The System Xdigital switching platform was developed, and the first digital exchanges began to be installed. The Post Office also procured their own fleet of vans, based on the Commer FC model. However, progress came at a price. Investment was stifled by public spending limits, and long waiting lists for telephone lines developed, sometimes for years.

In 1979 the Conservatives decided that telecommunications should be fully separated from the Post Office. By 1981, the British Telecommunications Act was passed and the service became British Telecom in October that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Telecommunications

http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6054
Thanks ..Mr C..
No! At this rate I won't be able to leave the house without taking an interest in some kind of fitting or street furniture!

Believe it or not there are guys out there who take an interest in classic telegraph poles, and even buy old ones, restore them, and erect them in their gardens!
along with barbed wire collectors and on and on
It makes me feel less nerdy:laugh:
There must be a collective name for doing this apart from.............nuts.
It's gotta be an 'ology' of some sorts.

New week started, carry on, chaps:okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The cut mark is on a buttress on the NE aspect.
I'd forgotten that you'd nabbed the Gayhurst TP. Did you scramble through the nettles from the road, or use the footpapublic footpath the up the field side?

I nipped through the gate into the field about 50 metres down the hill, and sneakily crept up the inside of the hedgeline.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No! At this rate I won't be able to leave the house without taking an interest in some kind of fitting or street furniture!

Believe it or not there are guys out there who take an interest in classic telegraph poles, and even buy old ones, restore them, and erect them in their gardens!

if you cut them down you could use them as dancing poles !!!!!!

Top Bottom