The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
7 CBMs and an FB today, not edited everything up yet

Wot about this? Your thoughts
CBM NS270774 Greenock,  Johnston strret.jpg

Position works in with an OS locator on database but the wrong street mentioned.
The image defines the outline of the crow's foot more than it did looking at it...
I'm aye/no....
obviously a local dog pee spot

Any idea what C.P.(C R?) means on this
I've seen ones with GPO but not this...

Elderslie (337 x 599).jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Any idea what C.P.(C R?) means on this
I've seen ones with GPO but not this...

View attachment 357575

Now that's interesting. In the next village from me there are several of those, but only one has a cut mark. As far as I can establish the cut mark identifies it as government property, but then why not on all of them?

That style of marker was last used about 50 years ago, so they're now quite elderly and none to common. The numbers, missing from your example, designate distance from the cable/pipe and depth.

I believe CP may stand for Control Point, but that's not confirmed. These old style utilities markers are fascinating but I've not been able to find out much about them.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Now that's interesting. In the next village from me there are several of those, but only one has a cut mark. As far as I can establish the cut mark identifies it as government property, but then why not on all of them?

That style of marker was last used about 50 years ago, so they're now quite elderly and none to common. The numbers, missing from your example, designate distance from the cable/pipe and depth.

I believe CP may stand for Control Point, but that's not confirmed. These old style utilities markers are fascinating but I've not been able to find out much about them.
Good input, Sir:okay:
I'll head back up at some point and see if any signs of whatever in the immediate area.
Ta!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Cheers Bobby. If any of The Baggers spots any of this style of utilities marker, or unearths any info, I'd be keen to know about it.
I came across this in Elderslie, the birthplace of the Braveheart bloke.
GPO ones I've passed a couple but it was the CP that threw me.
This has played hell with my Veloviewer rating:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
A few from a short walk,
Just down the road from a Trigametrical Point(Centre of the left-hand side of dual carriageway).
CAM00218.jpg

An old mill(Martins Mill, next to "The Running Man" & Haunt of the Halifax Slasher) further up the same road.
CAM00219.jpg

Playhouse, King Cross Street
CAM00220.jpg

CAM00221.jpg

And then there's this one
CAM00222.jpg

which @Cubist should know.

North Bridge is missing two. One on the Northern end, East side & on the Southern end, West side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom