The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Now then,I've just come back from a short cycling tour in Belgium and France and whilst I was being amazed at the Ronquières Inclined Plane, I spotted this:
2017-06-11 14.57.25.jpg

Do the Belgians have trig points? Or is it just a random concrete pillar?

Colin_P

Guru
What a lovely excuse for a bike ride and some exploring.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...=51.5715&lon=-0.7271&layers=168&right=BingHyb

That link provides a side by side viewer that should help home in on trig points and benchmarks. The above map setting (OS 25 inch 1892-1905) I've found since I found this thread (I have used it previously for historical research of things I see on bike rides) is great for trig points and BM's.

It covers my neck of the woods very well but for other parts of the country you may need to select a different map.

I cannot wait to bag a few !

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What a lovely excuse for a bike ride and some exploring.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...=51.5715&lon=-0.7271&layers=168&right=BingHyb

That link provides a side by side viewer that should help home in on trig points and benchmarks. The above map setting (OS 25 inch 1892-1905) I've found since I found this thread (I have used it previously for historical research of things I see on bike rides) is great for trig points and BM's.

It covers my neck of the woods very well but for other parts of the country you may need to select a different map.

I cannot wait to bag a few !
It's kind of addictive! :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Now then,I've just come back from a short cycling tour in Belgium and France and whilst I was being amazed at the Ronquières Inclined Plane, I spotted this:
View attachment 356916
Do the Belgians have trig points? Or is it just a random concrete pillar?

Tim, is that a plate on the top?

@Colin_P its brilliant. I'm desperate for my shoulder to be fixed so I can get back at it, but reading the exploits of the team on here is the next best thing.

Colin_P

Guru
It'd be good to do some kind of tally of the baggins on this :crazy:

There are five main categories and in my mind in order of holy grail'ness

1, A trig point pillar / plate.
2, A primary or 1st order benchmark (nearest to me is Windsor castle so no chance of getting near that one).
3, A trig point as part of a building or landmark, a chruch steeple for example.
4, A 2nd order benchmark, which would be a cast and numbered plate.
5, An ordinary benchmark, which are the ones chiselled into a wall or building, using that side by side viewer there are literally thousands of these, how many survive though would be questionable.

So far my score is a big fat NIL

As I've said, a wonderful excuse for a cycle ride, not that I needed one before but now they have purpose!

It also reminds me of when we learned how to land survey or set a temporary benchmark for a new build building or structure. We would start at a known benchmark and work our way out towards where the TBM would need to be established, this was about 1/2 a mile away so there would be numerous waypoints. We would establish the TBM value and then as a cross check work our way back to the known benchmark via a different route to error check. Obviously to be cock-on the sum of the outbound and inbound reduced level readings would be zero but a small tolerance was allowed (think it was 30mm per 1,000m for us students).

I also fondly remember using WW2 era (in the 1980's) Vickers theodolites for setting out for a few years when I started out working as a site engineer. They were buggers to set up over the 'pin' but you'd do your own site triangulation at the start of a project by establishing various 'pins' around the perimeter for both level and triangulation, chosing your own landmarks / buildings for reference points. Most would be wooden pegs driven into the ground (usually in close proximity to stingling nettles) and some would be a nail hammered into the footpath (laterly using a hilti nail gun). Quite often the wooden peg TBM's / level points would be removed by accident so you'd have to go to the trouble of re-establishing it which would also mean re-jigging all your triangulation calcs.

I then moved into the office and lost touch with it as these days it is all done with GPS and Total Station EDM's. But using instruments, particularly the old Vickers theodolites were a joy to use, quite often a right fiddle but still a joy. Those instruments were not a million miles away from the ones the Victorians used to survey not only the UK but the world.

Happy days they were and now I'm going to go out on the bike to bag whatever I can. With my ongoing heart issues it'll give me an excuse to go just a little further afield but not that much!

Glad I found this thread and @Drago what a bloody good idea !

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow

2, A primary or 1st order benchmark (nearest to me is Windsor castle so no chance of getting near that one).
3, A trig point as part of a building or landmark, a chruch steeple for example.
5, An ordinary benchmark, which are the ones chiselled into a wall or building, using that side by side viewer there are literally thousands of these, how many survive though would be questionable.

As I've said, a wonderful excuse for a cycle ride, not that I needed one before but now they have purpose!

It also reminds me of when we learned how to land survey or set a temporary benchmark for a new build building or structure. We would start at a known benchmark and work our way out towards where the TBM would need to be established, this was about 1/2 a mile away so there would be numerous waypoints. We would establish the TBM value and then as a cross check work our way back to the known benchmark via a different route to error check. Obviously to be cock-on the sum of the outbound and inbound reduced level readings would be zero but a small tolerance was allowed (think it was 30mm per 1,000m for us students).

I also fondly remember using WW2 era (in the 1980's) Vickers theodolites for setting out for a few years when I started out working as a site engineer. They were buggers to set up over the 'pin' but you'd do your own site triangulation at the start of a project by establishing various 'pins' around the perimeter for both level and triangulation, chosing your own landmarks / buildings for reference points. Most would be wooden pegs driven into the ground (usually in close proximity to stingling nettles) and some would be a nail hammered into the footpath (laterly using a hilti nail gun). Quite often the wooden peg TBM's / level points would be removed by accident so you'd have to go to the trouble of re-establishing it which would also mean re-jigging all your triangulation calcs.

I then moved into the office and lost touch with it as these days it is all done with GPS and Total Station EDM's. But using instruments, particularly the old Vickers theodolites were a joy to use, quite often a right fiddle but still a joy. Those instruments were not a million miles away from the ones the Victorians used to survey not only the UK but the world.

Happy days they were and now I'm going to go out on the bike to bag whatever I can. With my ongoing heart issues it'll give me an excuse to go just a little further afield but not that much!

Glad I found this thread and @Drago what a bloody good idea !
Interesting post, Colin..
Thanks.
On the chiselled ones, I find older parts of the area a happier hunting ground.
I got 5 in no time the other day along a stretch of road and am hoping to hunt out the rest in the area, just to determine a route and work out a route with waypoints for the Etrex.

classic33

Leg End Member

Glad I found this thread and @Drago
You could at least try!

hat a bloody good idea !

classic33

Leg End Member
Reminds me of the Smiths song....

I'd have to take a sponge and a rusty spanner.

That said, I'd probably end up with a bayonet in my belly or a triple head shot or both.

Think I might find out where the next nearest 1st order BM is and go for that instead.
The soldiers on guard are cermonial only. The rifles only have blanks fitted*, so it'll not be shot you'll be.

* They've five to sign out, and then back in again. Everytime. "Accidental discharges" have to be accounted for.

Tim Hall

@Drago, I can't recall if there was a plate on top. I think so, but can't be sure. Anyway, I've just had a listen to "On the Map" on 4 Extra. Great stuff, especially the bit at the end where the OS cartographer has gone all Slartibartfast. Open an OS Map (I used the Bing Maps service). Go to Blackgang Chine on the IOW. Go to 1:50000 scale. Look just above the standalone word "Blackgang". What do you see?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Drago, I can't recall if there was a plate on top. I think so, but can't be sure. Anyway, I've just had a listen to "On the Map" on 4 Extra. Great stuff, especially the bit at the end where the OS cartographer has gone all Slartibartfast. Open an OS Map (I used the Bing Maps service). Go to Blackgang Chine on the IOW. Go to 1:50000 scale. Look just above the standalone word "Blackgang". What do you see?
os blackgang.jpg

Ah, just got it!

Top Bottom