The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Its very strange and the i have noticed that the big posh old houses have very few markings yet loads on old terraced cottages etc etc

And agree re style of chisel work in same areas

Some local older villages which have not had much re development seem to be void as well

I have referred to your spreadsheets on a couple of occasions but mostly just look when i am cycling along

I tried to figure it out at one location this afternoon, I stood at one on a building at a height of half a metre (wrong-higher) and I could see the idea of lining the next one (to the E, its a 3 way road junction) but too much rubbish etc built up at the side of the road where the mark is supposed to be 1 ft above ground level, the next mark to the NE, I can see again how it triangles, this location the bridge walls have been rebuilt = no mark..The N and NE ones have no line of sight though. Some in town areas show no sense at all but they must have had their reason. It worked, any surveyors out there can explain?.

classic33

Leg End Member
I tried to figure it out at one location this afternoon, I stood at one on a building at a height of half a metre (wrong-higher) and I could see the idea of lining the next one (to the E, its a 3 way road junction) but too much rubbish etc built up at the side of the road where the mark is supposed to be 1 ft above ground level, the next mark to the NE, I can see again how it triangles, this location the bridge walls have been rebuilt = no mark..The N and NE ones have no line of sight though. Some in town areas show no sense at all but they must have had their reason. It worked, any surveyors out there can explain?.
BM's weren't for triagulation purposes. There's a street, Old Lane, where the marks are on the mill itself, but it had the railway on the other side of the road which was walled off. They had their own entrance to the sidings.

They were more for marking a height at a known location. Spot Heights came later.

classic33

Leg End Member
Question Time
Any ideas on this
CAM00646.jpg

Approx 18 inches in height.
Square in shape, all four faces the same, recessed. Fairly "new", cast concrete.
The Top
CAM00647.jpg

A little over seven inches across the flats.
Set back about ten feet from the road.

Then there's these,
CAM00655-1.jpg

CAM00648-1.jpg

First thought, connected to the railways, thrown out. They appear at regular intervals, not always in order & often on retaining walls.

Anyone else come across these?
CAM00650-1.jpg

CAM00653-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
BM's weren't for triagulation purposes. There's a street, Old Lane, where the marks are on the mill itself, but it had the railway on the other side of the road which was walled off. They had their own entrance to the sidings.

They were more for marking a height at a known location. Spot Heights came later.
I know, I was trying to apply the logic they used with trig points.
The example I mentioned, the NE one leads NE again ( the mark was gone) the next two marks NEE (are there) but they follow the line of the road(at high spots of the road. They would have been in sight of each other yet at the junction of the other main road which passes through the village, there is a total lack of marks at the junction, one at a church nowhere near the junction. Seems no logic at times,

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Looks like same location

Blimey!! How many times have I ridden past that, gasping from the climb up Hardwater..:laugh:

In fact, I was within a hundred yards of it on todays ride, but I turned left towards Earls Barton.

Untitled.png

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
What route would the road have taken, if it existed at the time.
The same as today.. Headed out into the wilds,
I met jungle
giphy.gif

fought cougars:laugh:
coug (200 x 133).jpg

Used the GPS to find this
HERE

Hidden amongst a mass of Epilobium (Yon tall pink fluffy things)
Had one of the golf course greenkeepers give me the history of it over the 25 years he has worked there, welded shut to keep underage drinkers out.
20170927_103609.jpg
20170927_103637.jpg
20170927_103718.jpg
20170927_103736.jpg
20170927_103750.jpg

Top Bottom