The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Just a rough BM on one of the factory walls on Finedon Road industrial estate, on t'other night's ride.

@biggs682 On the road from Hilltop to Lt Harrowden, the cattle grid on the right is supposed to have a rivet on the concrete surround, but I couldn't see it in the dark! It might be findable on one of your early morning excursions..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 532763

Just a rough BM on one of the factory walls on Finedon Road industrial estate, on t'other night's ride.

@biggs682 On the road from Hilltop to Lt Harrowden, the cattle grid on the right is supposed to have a rivet on the concrete surround, but I couldn't see it in the dark! It might be findable on one of your early morning excursions..

I have had a couple of looks but have not found it yet

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well done team. When I started this thread I had no inkling that several years and 250 pages later it would be inspiring you folks to not only get out on your bikes, but to explore and learn about our heritage. Thank you and well done to everyone has contributed, and may the next 250 pages be equally interesting and inspiring.

Last edited:
Saturday 27th

Chapel Of Our Lady
Bridge Street
Rotherham

Almost 130 years younger than the 'Chantry Chapel of St Mary', in Wakefield!!, it's the other (remaining) 'bridge chapel' in Yorkshire - there's only 4 in the country!

Note the mid-1700's widening, by the stonework (& lack of ribbing)

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101132738-chapel-of-our-lady-boston-castle-ward#.XveifkBFzIU

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101191884-rotherham-bridge-boston-castle-ward#.Xvei9kBFzIU

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2198307
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5965654

Attachments

• DSCF4122.JPG
    DSCF4122.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well done team. When I started this thread I had no inkling that several years and 250 pages later it would be inspiring you folks to not only get out on your bikes, but to explore and learn about our heritage. Thank you and well done to everyone has contributed, and may the next 250 pages be equally interesting and inspiring.

@Drago

Thankyou for starting it:okay::notworthy:

Granted, I was a late-comer to it, but I hope that I've enlightened, entertained (& even?) educated some of you with my previous knowledge (even if revisited/re-photographed for this thread)
Equally you've educated me too!!

I'm off this coming weekend, & I'm reasonably certain we'll be heading out somewhere

So, what will it bring, to compare with my efforts over (eg...) the last three pages?:scratch:

Tomorrow, at the moment, is probably;
Buxton, Bakewell & (probably) Matlock
With a circuitously, & planned, route in between:angel:

I'm on days-off Wed/Thurs, & there's a good chance that senior management & me are heading to Whitby for the day :okay:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
None of Dearbourne Station near you?
That would be 150 miles away, in Chicago. And I would go in to Union Station, even if the old situation was still in place. Gulf-Mobile and Ohio went in to Union Station, as did Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy, Milwaukee Road, Union Pacific, unless a joint operation with Chicago and North-Western, and a few others. Santa Fe, Monon, and Erie went into Dearborn. Grand Central (Chicago) Had Baltimore and Ohio, Chesapeake and Ohio, and the Pere Marquette. LaSalle Street was at the bottom of the "Loop", and Rock Island and New York Central were there. Illinois Central was on the lakefront, as it is now, only with subterranean station beneath Prudential Building. South Shore, IC, and Grand Trunk were there. Transfers were operated by a dedicated taxi company called Parmalee. Been through that mill before Amtrak. It worked like a fine Swiss watch. I had to transfer from Dearborn , coming in on Santa Fe, to Union, to get a Hiawatha for Milwaukee. Of these, Union is pretty much intact in place. North-Western was torn down for Ogilvie Transportation Center (ironic. Don't go there..)LaSalle has been very nicely modernized. Dearborn is a mall. Grand Central was a pretty little station, looked like a Norman castle. Torn down for a freeway that was never finished. Illinois Central still has commuter traffic, and all electric. If I go to town, after this pandemic is over, I'll try and get around up there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom