The Cheese Lovers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've got threads on various alcohol recommendations, so why not one about cheese?

So I'll start. Red Leicester - ok, a fairly mundane cheese in the scheme of things, but Belton Farm's Red Fox mature Red Leicester is really rather nice. It's on the crumbly side, but has a really nice tang to it. Well worth the £2.50 I reckon.

Also, a heads up for Tesco's Horlicks Farm mature Cheddar. It's never going to win any major prizes, but it's a good all-round everyday cheese, good for cooking and good for sandwiches and toasties. Though you do have to buy a 900-ish gramme block. It's only £4.43 a kilo however, so it's not a massive hit on the pocket.

Salar

A fish out of water
I'm at two ends of the spectrum.

Edam slices on toast for breakfast, and when I'm feeling posh Gorgonzola. Not a lover of cheddar.

Over this way cheese is very expensive, being imported and subject to high taxes. It only becomes affordable when close to sell by date, so I'm always checking in the supermarkets - sometimes I get lucky. Here I'm not too fussy on any particular type - beggars can't be choosers I guess. Back there a nice Stilton type hits the mark, a few crackers, and some plonk of course (also expensive here).
Cheese and wine - a very civilized pastime I must say ^_^.

We went to Bruges on Eurostar a couple of years ago. There is a superb cheese shop in the centre of town.
We bought a nice mature camembert. Two days before we were due to return.
It was very nice and mature when we finally took it out of the suitcase.
Just lovely.

Two Dutch aunts visited my Fine City and were amazed by the quality of our cheese.
A Swiss student was missing his Emmental so I sent him to the The Cheeseman at the market. He was surprised to find the good stuff available.

We are spoilt for choice when it comes to quality cheese, so no need to always shoplift Cathedral Cheddar.

Is Cathedral City actually cheese?
No.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Over this way cheese is very expensive, being imported and subject to high taxes....
When our son was in Jakarta for a year we visited and he asked us to take Cheddar cheese over for hm,.

We never thought anything of it and happily packed 2 blocks of vacuum sealed 'mousetrap' cheddar in the 'big' suitcase.

Got through customs without any bother but when we arrived he said it would've looked like 2 blocks of Semtex on the X-ray scanners!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Indeed. Runny enough to nearly fall off the side of a slice of fresh white bread and it's perfect. A glass of red to accompany it - delicious.

This is what bugs me really; I have to leave brie and camembert in the fridge for a fortnight or so before it's even fit to eat. Ah well, there's always the anticipation, I suppose... :laugh:

I've just finished a rather fine Le Rustique de Printemps. Was so lush on my home baked sourdough pain de campagne. :hungry:

When our son was in Jakarta for a year we visited and he asked us to take Cheddar cheese over for hm,.

We never thought anything of it and happily packed 2 blocks of vacuum sealed 'mousetrap' cheddar in the 'big' suitcase.

Got through customs without any bother but when we arrived he said it would've looked like 2 blocks of Semtex on the X-ray scanners!
I've done much the same thing bringing cheese over this way on a couple of occasions, never thought of the Semtex thing :laugh:
Many moons ago, when the Chunnel was newly opened, did a booze run to Calais and Boulogne a few times. On one of the runs the 'stash' included some Brie cheese, real cheap from the hypermarket. Halfway back we had to throw it out of the car, the stench was unbelievable.
Happy days.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I buy a cheap cheddar for pizzas, and for my lettuce wraps. I do like a nice brie but my favourite at the moment is Wensleydale and Cranberry. Another favourite is Stilton on crackers with mango chutney

Top Bottom