The Cheese Lovers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I love a mature cheddar, and a nice brie or camembert.

Double Gloucester was also a favourite but it was all begin to taste a bit bland until I stumbled on one by accident. I was working at Dewlay Cheesemakers near Garstang and had a look in the shop when I left, their DG actually has some flavour to it, and the creamy Lancashire is delish.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That smoked German cheese is quite nice sometimes. But of a guilty pleasure as it tastes like something out of a tin of Americana, but can be nice in small doses.

Oh and Cornish Yarg is great (has nettles on the outside)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Despite having tasted many delicious French cheeses over the years, I reckon British cheeses now just about have the upper hand in both variety and quality. Try the unpasteurised sheep milk cheese, Flower Marie for example, or the extremely rich Finn.
These are occasional treats - for more regular consumption I shop local, meaning stilton, preferably from the C*****n Bassett creamery, an enjoyable bike ride away, or the ever reliable Lincolnshire Poacher.
Previous posters are spot on about the affinity between mango chutney and stilton. One of our favourite meals is stilton potato cake with my home-made mango chutney and salad to make a slight gesture towards healthy eating. When I finally get around to actually weighing ingredients instead of just chucking them together I'll post a recipe on Cookingbites. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I live just along the road from Isle of Mull Cheese so when I want a treat I just nip along and see.what they have on the cold shelf. Hard well ripened is good but for cooking I just use coop rubbish. Self service with an honesty box and they also take card payments but I find cash easier to handle. They have now branched out into pork products as well.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Collection of cheese hounds in this house, probably my fault. We go through cheddar at an alarming rate, so nothing fancy there just the Costco big blocks.
I have a soft spot for the blue cheeses, probably the favourite being bleu d'auvergne, cheap enough in France but not here. Had some wonderful gouda when in Amsterdam back in March and bought a good few home. Can be bought online from HenriWillig and they ship to the UK which is nice.
How people eat camembert sloppy is beyond me, mine has to be straight from the fridge.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I live just along the road from Isle of Mull Cheese so when I want a treat I just nip along and see.what they have on the cold shelf. Hard well ripened is good but for cooking I just use coop rubbish. Self service with an honesty box and they also take card payments but I find cash easier to handle. They have now branched out into pork products as well.

Mmmm yes. I get this.

I have what I call "cheeseboard" cheeses in the fridge, but for cooking I use Tesco's own brand extra mature.

Actually, Tesco's own brand extra mature cheddar is surprisingly good.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
No Name Shop, in No Name Street in Sandwich has an excellent selection. Essentially a French shop it houses some of the finest cheese.

A vintage salty crumbly Gouda or a strong rinded 'dipping' cheese (the name escapes me).

Please cross reference with @Fab Foodie and @Hill Wimp for quality control..

No Name Street is exactly one shop long and No Name Shop is it.

rustyroger

No Name Shop, in No Name Street in Sandwich has an excellent selection. Essentially a French shop it houses some of the finest cheese.

A vintage salty crumbly Gouda or a strong rinded 'dipping' cheese (the name escapes me).

Please cross reference with @Fab Foodie and @Hill Wimp for quality control..

View attachment 530959

No Name Street is exactly one shop long and No Name Shop is it.

I didn't know about this shop. So my wife and I are going there tomorrow....
Good mature Cheddar and Gouda are possibly our favourite hard cheeses, Stilton, Brie, Camembert, are our favourite soft cheeses, but we are always willing to try something new.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I didn't know about this shop. So my wife and I are going there tomorrow....
Good mature Cheddar and Gouda are possibly our favourite hard cheeses, Stilton, Brie, Camembert, are our favourite soft cheeses, but we are always willing to try something new.

Enjoy Sandwich, it's a fantastic ancient little town. The shop is unfortunately not trading in the current climate. Sandwich is a great place though. If you're there just have a look. There is the Guildhall over the road and many historic buildings. And my favourite chippy, Papas on the Quay.

rustyroger

I know Sandwich fairly well, I live in Margate. The Kings Arms in particular is a great place to eat out.

Roger.

newts

Veteran
I love cheese, abit too much as my waistline shows. Mature cheddar is the tops for me, strong enough to make the roof of your mouth tingle.
Quite partial to creamy flavour of Shropshire red.
Oxford Isis will challenge your nasal passages long before your taste buds!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Had some very nice Bleu d'Auvergne for lunch. With my home made tomato chutney.

Bought the cheese on yellow sticker in February. It somehow migrated to the back of the fridge and got forgotten. :blush: Not to the cheese's detriment, might I add; it was squishy, creamy and tangy and went down a right treat.

Actually, I find a lot of cheeses bought in supermarkets do benefit from some extra fridge time. Some stuff is sold woefully underripe.

Top Bottom