The Cheese Lovers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
My grandmother made a small amount of cheese and used a home made press weighed down by a couple of boulders which hung on the stone wall outside the house for weeks or even months. Very hard but very tasty. She also made crowdie which was not like the rubbish you get nowadays but had a proper taste. This was on a croft in Sutherland. On the Isle of Lewis where my wife's family originated they added sour cream to their crowdie which was also very good.
All this was using milk straight from the cow but I never heard of anyone getting ill although nowadays it is probably illegal.

I make my own cream / cottage cheese. It's nothing like the tasteless, rubbery garbage sold in the shops. Needs 1.5 % salt, plus a good clove of garlic and some parsley and chives from the garden.

So totally lush. :hungry:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It'll be fine. Camembert (when ripe) usually stinks the fridge out. Just make sure it has the chance to get up to room temperature first.

Mind, it has nothing on Herve and Maroual - those are into gas mask territory :laugh:
Been warming up now for 2 hours.
TBH it doesnt smell as much as it did in the fridge.
Had my prawn cocktail. Wait 10 minutes for that to go down the I will attack the Camembert:rolleyes:

figbat

Slippery scientist
For daily use, Tickler extra mature cheddar has remained unbeaten in our house.
We‘re lucky enough to have a farm shop nearby with a good cheese counter and not much further away is a dedicated cheese shop. For soft cheese we like the pavé d’Affinois and there’s a spicy cheddar called Spitfire (amongst other names) that makes a good Xmas treat. Mrs figbat loves a Roquefort - I’m quite new to blue cheeses and can take it in small amounts on a digestive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Recipe ???

You need full fat milk for this. 4 pints gives a decent yield.

I usually make it when I've milk that's on the verge of going over or just has. But you can use fresh milk and start off the process by warming to blood heat in a pan and then adding a little lemon juice or vinegar to get it curdling. I prefer lemon juice to vinegar as the taste is less intrusive.

When the milk has curdled, put a sieve or colander over a bowl, line with a clean tea towel or muslin, and then pour the curds and whey in. You might need to do this in stages depending on the size of your sieve / colander or the amount of milk you have. Let it drip out for a few hours.

Squeeze out about half the remaining excess moisture - the texture needs to be soft and spreadable, so do this carefully. Turn out into a bowl and weigh. Add 1.5 % salt according to the weight of cheese and mix well.

You could use it like this, but I also like to add a finely chopped garlic clove, and chopped fresh parsley and chives. So much nicer than the garlic and herb cheese in the supermarket. Another thing you can do is swirl in some sweet chilli sauce instead of the garlic and herbs, or some cracked black pepper. The possibilities here are many. :hungry:

P.S. The whey can be used to make bread.

Last edited:
Any cheese officionados know what the Corsican goats cheese that blows your socks off is called? Went in 2018, and sure it was served with local honey. Epic!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Any cheese officionados know what the Corsican goats cheese that blows your socks off is called? Went in 2018, and sure it was served with local honey. Epic!
Take your time and see if you recognise the suspect from this line up.
There are probably others; most Corsican cheese is either sheep or goat and occasionally both.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m just heading out to my favourite cheese shop to pick up some lovely Bonnet
239FA786-2DE0-40D5-9763-88E758976272.jpeg

some Stichelton

A2249FFD-5EB8-40E6-8D6B-70644DE54318.jpeg

and a chunk of Ubriacone

C491693D-2A2E-4CCE-AF60-DE6D05D3682C.jpeg

Yum!

Solocle

Über Member
Has anyone done an (overpriced) cheese making course?
id like to have a bash with a bit of direction from someone who knows....
Start with ricotta. Heat the milk to near boiling point, add a bit of citric acid to curdle it, drain and press the curds!

It's as simple as that. if you want hard cheese, you start messing around with rennet. Then there's proper maturation to consider..

Homemade ricotta is lovely.

Top Bottom