The Cheese Lovers' Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
And risk being blown into the next county? :wacko:

I've also got some nice cornish brie that's been slowly ripening in the fridge. It's getting to the point of having the right degree of squish.
If it weren't for the COVID thing, I'd be quite happy being blown across several counties - I've done it before! Then catch the train home :okay:
1593338469135.png

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Despite having tasted many delicious French cheeses over the years, I reckon British cheeses now just about have the upper hand in both variety and quality. Try the unpasteurised sheep milk cheese, Flower Marie for example, or the extremely rich Finn.
These are occasional treats - for more regular consumption I shop local, meaning stilton, preferably from the C*****n Bassett creamery, an enjoyable bike ride away, or the ever reliable Lincolnshire Poacher.
Previous posters are spot on about the affinity between mango chutney and stilton. One of our favourite meals is stilton potato cake with my home-made mango chutney and salad to make a slight gesture towards healthy eating. When I finally get around to actually weighing ingredients instead of just chucking them together I'll post a recipe on Cookingbites. :okay:
As threatened promised, stilton potato cake recipe posted. Feel free to criticise/riff/salivate. I really don't care any more; I'm replete.

gbb

Legendary Member
As a kid I'd feel nauseous at the smell of cheese and never ate any until i was in my late 20s. The advent of pizza takeaways left me feeling envious, they smelled so good and once tried, I've expanded into all sorts of cheese. But, the BEST I ever tasted was a sample at a 1940s weekend in Cambridgeshire, a stall selling soft cheddar, it was paper wrapped, roll shaped and it just melted in your mouth with a taste explosion, good God that's wonderful. How much I asked ? £15 a pack I seem to remember.
I grudgingly declined.

Top Bottom