The cinema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Had the day off today and went to the cinema. It only cost £5. I saw Joker, which was better than I suspected it would be. If you can see films at the cinema for a fiver then that's a game changer. I think they must only be making money from the food and drink.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Gave up going to the cinema when they want £12 a ticket may as well just buy the dvd

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My local Vue cinema is now £5, it used to be ~£10 but there's a new cinema complex in Plymouth city centre now so Vue lowered their prices to attract/retain custom. It can make for a cheap night out if you refrain from buying their extortionate food and drink.

The new cinema has an IMAX and 4D screen: "With stimulating effects like water, wind, scent and strobe lighting, that thrill you in your moving seat "... not for me. They do offer an unlimited card at £18.40/month which if you go a lot doesn't seem bad.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I HATE going to Vue cinema and queueing at a sweet shop counter where cinema tickets are sold as an afterthought then sitting through all the noise of inconsiderate people crackling wrappers and packets and chomping their way through all the crap they bought. We have discovered Home in Manchester, which is a proper cinema where people go who want to watch films and nothing else. Their cafe and bar are also rather good especially as they have understood that big glass and concrete buildings are acoustically lively so they've installed sound-absorbing panels in the ceiling, making them pleasant places to chat with friends.

Drago

Legendary Member
Book my tickets online, take my own provisions. I just pitch up, Mrs d shows the man the tickets on her phone, and I wheel her straight in.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We go to The Light Cinema in Wisbech. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays its a fiver each. Big comfy seats, loads of legroom and we love it. Tesco right next door so we can get some sucky-sweets if required. We tend to take some water in with us, from home in a cycling bidon, as 2 hours is a while to go without a drink for me.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My local Vue cinema is now £5, it used to be ~£10 but there's a new cinema complex in Plymouth city centre now so Vue lowered their prices to attract/retain custom. It can make for a cheap night out if you refrain from buying their extortionate food and drink.

The new cinema has an IMAX and 4D screen: "With stimulating effects like water, wind, scent and strobe lighting, that thrill you in your moving seat "... not for me. They do offer an unlimited card at £18.40/month which if you go a lot doesn't seem bad.
Vue in Lancaster has been £5 for about twelve months or so... with no real local competition. I figured the cut price was a national initiative since I've seldom seen it full on the rare occasion i go.

screenman

Legendary Member
Kinema in the woods for us, half the price of the local Odeon. Also it still has the organ come up mid film and the goodies are sold at normal non inflated prices.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Vue in Cramlington has also reduced its price to £5 a ticket. For me the most irritating thing about going is sitting through all the ads at the start - I try to time my arrival for about 20 minutes after the scheduled start time.

I'm looking forward to the new Ken Loach film.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Kinema in the woods for us, half the price of the local Odeon. Also it still has the organ come up mid film and the goodies are sold at normal non inflated prices.
Beat me to it! £6 for senior citizens (65+), who can get in for £5 on Thursday mornings (which I think also includes a hot drink, possibly even cake!)
I'll be over at my SiL's in Woodhall this weekend; don't know whether she's up for a fillum.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Both Vue cinemas in Leeds have also reduced prices to £5 a ticket (£2 more for VIP seats).
To be fair, both cinemas are looking a bit down at heel nowadays but when Cineworld and Odeon are charging £10-£12 a pop you can live with it.
I think the Everyman cinema is £15 a ticket, but for obvious reasons I haven't been there.

Top tip at the Vue to avoid the online booking fee scam and the queue behind the family getting a huge order of the world's most expensive snacks from the solitary member of staff, the machines for collecting pre-booked tickets can also be used to buy tickets.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My wife refuses to go to the Odeon in the Trafford Centre now because she reckons the seats themselves smell of dirty bodies and urine.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I HATE going to Vue cinema and queueing at a sweet shop counter where cinema tickets are sold as an afterthought then sitting through all the noise of inconsiderate people crackling wrappers and packets and chomping their way through all the crap they bought. We have discovered Home in Manchester, which is a proper cinema where people go who want to watch films and nothing else. Their cafe and bar are also rather good especially as they have understood that big glass and concrete buildings are acoustically lively so they've installed sound-absorbing panels in the ceiling, making them pleasant places to chat with friends.

Another vote for Home which we've been going to for years. The new building is wonderful. If we are in Manchester we often just go to eat there.

It's a bit of a trek just for a film but makes a great day out if one has time.

Top Bottom