The Clangers revival - is it too early to start complaining about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 2712130, member: 259"]They always made perfect sense to me.[/quote]

When The Clangers was first made, Postgate and Firmin took tapes to an international TV conference, to see if they could sell it to foreign networks. They didn't have a voice over narration in dozens of languages, so just showed it with the Clanger dialogue. Afterwards, they asked a couple of executives whether they could follow the story. "But of course!" said a German man, "They spoke perfect German!" "No, No," said a Norweigian. "It was Norweigian they spoke!"

The 'swearing' Phil refers to is when one of them can't get the lid off his crater and says "Oh, sod it, the bloody thing's stuck again". Get hold of a 'talking' Clanger toy, and squeeze it, and that is the line you hear.

I haven't heard much about the revival, who's doing it etc. I fear the worst. I saw an updated cartoon version of Peter Rabbit recently and winced all the way through....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Do you think the man who did the original voice overs is still alive. If he is he must be at least 90 years old by now.
Oliver Postgate died about 5 years ago.

Meanwhile, the Gurniad has written it off already - http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ct/15/bbc-revive-clangers-what-planet-they-on

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Last edited:

Noodley

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes but that's because the author of the piece is only 12 years old. He has no idea !

I dunno, I think whoever wrote that had a lot of good points!

Whatever they do (and I see Peter Firmin is involved, so it might be alright, ish) it won't be The Clangers. It might be a programme with some characters that look a bit like Clangers, but to update it, and spend £5m on it will mean that it just isn't going to be the show so many of us grew up with. If it was, they could just show the originals.

Some people are less attached to the TV of their youth - but I'm very attached to it. Certain sights, sounds and voices invoke hugely strong feelings of comfort, routine and nostalgia. So yes, I'm immediately suspicious of an updated version, because it won't sound or look the same. It just won't be right, for me.

There are some great shows on CBBC these days, so it's not that I think all the modern stuff is rubbish. I just don't want to see my particular childhood messed with.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
@Arch Im with you. If you want to bring these things back the originals. How the hell can it cost that much money for some knitted puppets. ?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

There are some great shows on CBBC these days, so it's not that I think all the modern stuff is rubbish. I just don't want to see my particular childhood messed with.

Wolfblood I thoroughly enjoying at the moment... is it wrong for a 44 year old to still watch the odd show on CBBC? :shy:

Top Bottom