The colour Orange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The bike pictured here started my love of orange coloured bikes , I never managed to find out what make it was but it certainly rode as well as it looked .

At some point after this picture was taken the forks were replaced by a pair of Kinesis Alloy ones.

000_0001.jpg

100_1127.jpg
000_0007.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
My orange MTB is a Trek 6500. The nasty and heavy suspension fork has since been replaced with a nice light carbon one in black and orange, since TBH it doesn't do a lot of off road where a suspension fork might be of benefit.

DSC00469_zpsn6jwmb07.jpg

Eddie Mercx bikes were always orange. The racer above looks a liitle too nice to be the standard EM sticker bike of the late 1970s

RichardB

Slightly retro
The bike I lusted after more than any when I was about 15 was a Merlin (I think), owned by a local lad a bit older than us. The frame was a lovely tangerine-type orange, totally plain, and I have wanted a bike (or motorbike or car) in that colour ever since. One day, perhaps.

NeilM

A few years ago, returning to cycling I managed to find a 1990's Roberts DOGS BOLX, it needed a new top tube, but it was the genuine article.

The convention, then and now was to go with the white / black colour scheme made popular by the MBUK articles, but I was having none of that.

I have ridden a lot of offroad miles on my DB, it is a superb all round mtb, it is also probably unique.

DSCN0481_zpse1628aab.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A few years ago, returning to cycling I managed to find a 1990's Roberts DOGS BOLX, it needed a new top tube, but it was the genuine article.

The convention, then and now was to go with the white / black colour scheme made popular by the MBUK articles, but I was having none of that.

I have ridden a lot of offroad miles on my DB, it is a superb all round mtb, it is also probably unique.

DSCN0481_zpse1628aab.jpg

oooh very nice and good find , i keep looking for an Orange retro mtb but hard to find and can be expensive

iandg

Legendary Member
Another orange Cross-Check owner here. The first lightweight frame I owned (back in the mid 70s) was a Holdsworth Professional :smile:

29057266900_850f12a4e3.jpg
3880341379_2fac5835dc.jpg

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
I currently have an orange Cross-Check. The first lightweight frame I owned was a Holdsworth Professional :smile:

29057266900_850f12a4e3.jpg
3880341379_2fac5835dc.jpg

Was the tripple ring a standard fit on your CC ? also, what tyre gear are you running on it ?
The only down side in my book on mine is I do not like the bar end shifters , I passed up the chance to get modified handle bars,maybe i can get some made

iandg

Legendary Member
Was the tripple ring a standard fit on your CC ? also, what tyre gear are you running on it ?
The only down side in my book on mine is I do not like the bar end shifters , I passed up the chance to get modified handle bars,maybe i can get some made

I had a lot of 'spare parts' in the shed so just bought a frame and built it from scratch - the chainset is a Stronglight Impact triple 46/36/24 from Spa Cycles. The Tyres are 40c WTB Nano (on that pic) they're really nice tyres on road and gravel. I'm running 'Smart Sams' on it at the moment as they have a bit more grip on wet winter trails.

NeilM

oooh very nice and good find , i keep looking for an Orange retro mtb but hard to find and can be expensive

It didn't look anything like that when I bought the frame.

It had a hole in the top tube so I spoke with Chas at Bespoked Bristol, sent it to him for repair and told him I wanted it eye blistering orange, he chose the colour.

DSC_0175.jpg

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
I had a lot of 'spare parts' in the shed so just bought a frame and built it from scratch - the chainset is a Stronglight Impact triple 46/36/24 from Spa Cycles. The Tyres are 40c WTB Nano (on that pic) they're really nice tyres on road and gravel. I'm running 'Smart Sams' on it at the moment as they have a bit more grip on wet winter trails.

Looks like you use it for its purpose ! , thats a good pic ,
I had the granny ring fitted to the OEM , running on Schwalbe Landcruisers at the mo , I find the Surley quite comfortable to ride and will ne using it for a tourer , according to Surley it should be able to be ridden at170 kg full laden , dont lnow if my Ol' legs can cope with that weight !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The bike pictured here started my love of orange coloured bikes , I never managed to find out what make it was but it certainly rode as well as it looked .

Maybe we can look forward to you making the best seller lists with your new erotic novel 'Fifty shades of Orange'. Let me know if you want help with the proof reading.

Top Bottom