Votes: 1 100.0%
  • northern ireland specific party

• eligible but not voting

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
alecstilleyedye said:
hmm. i wonder if the poll was public if they'd be brave enough to vote for them here.

the poll is anonymous for that reason though, as is the ballot box.

Depends what circles you go in, I was talking to two people only the other day that said they've vote BNP.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm always surprised by how few ukip voters there are, given the circulation of the daily mail…

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
i'm always surprised by how few ukip voters there are, given the circulation of the daily mail…

That's because you make the assumption that people buy newspapers for their political content. The Sun has alway's been the number one newspaper on the factory floor, no matter what political flavour thay presented. The reason is their racing content is (or used to be anyway) superior to everyone elses, and their football coverage is extensive.

People often buy because they like particular columnists or the paper carries features that they find interesting. Anyone who thinks that you can sum people up by the newspaper they read has lead a pretty sheltered life.

darkstar

Smokin Joe said:
That's because you make the assumption that people buy newspapers for their political content. The Sun has alway's been the number one newspaper on the factory floor, no matter what political flavour thay presented. The reason is their racing content is (or used to be anyway) superior to everyone elses, and their football coverage is extensive.

People often buy because they like particular columnists or the paper carries features that they find interesting. Anyone who thinks that you can sum people up by the newspaper they read has lead a pretty sheltered life.
But the views outlined in the papers makes a difference to peoples standpoint. if you're reading the same paper who supports one party in particular everyday then you are bound to pick up some of those views.

marinyork said:
Normal people,

No, cannot accept that, there has to be something wrong with people who made sweeping judgments based on the colour of a persons skin, have these people only just been released from the cellar after living their entire life in darkness listening to daily playbacks of Mosley speeches?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Catrike UK said:
No, cannot accept that, there has to be something wrong with people who made sweeping judgments based on the colour of a persons skin, have these people only just been released from the cellar after living their entire life in darkness listening to daily playbacks of Mosley speeches?

Well, it's true. Relatives of mine in the UK told me that they were considering voting BNP as a 'protest'. They aren't racists. In fact their views are remarkably similar to the views that you've expressed on this forum over the years - they are just slightly nationalist 'conservatives' who would have voted Tory in the past but don't feel that there is a mainstream 'conservative' party any more. To me that seems profoundly unethical - I mean, I would understand them voting UKIP and they may well do that in the end - but that's the way I think quite a few very ordinary people are thinking.

jeltz

Veteran
Having heard a bit from the local candidates I have formed the following views of them:-

Labour Quite matter of fact basically saying we are doing well so keep us in.

Conservative Seemed like a complete toff and a bit detached from reality, while there are plenty of affluent people here there are also many working class and middle income people who won't relate to him.

Liberal Democrats Going after the women's votes at the expense of alienating the male electorate.

BNP Doesn't say anything extreme and comes across as a decent "bloke" saying things that will appeal to the local working man and their family.

I wonder how many people will vote according to personality rather than policy because if they do the BNP might do OK round here!

p.s. I'm voting on policy BTW

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Flying_Monkey said:
Well, it's true. Relatives of mine in the UK told me that they were considering voting BNP as a 'protest'. They aren't racists.

My mum even expressed a comment about she could almost vote BNP and they definitely are not racist - it really surprised me. I think they just think that in their area that immigration needs to be brought more under control. We still disagreed over whether it was then the right thing to vote BNP. I can't honestly see her voting for them.

garrilla

May I just add that there is space between racist and anti-racist.

Professor, since I heard your music I love black people.

darkstar

I'm at uni in Liverpool and received a promotional pamphlet from the BNP. Ripped it up immediately, the sad thing is though they will get quite a few votes up here. Thats the exact reason i have applied for a postal vote, my vote for the torries will at least make a difference back home.

Davidc

Guru
marinyork said:
Normal people, that's the scary thing and when you look at the breakdown of say the 2009 European elections it is not a few nutters in Lancashire and Yorkshire, it's spread through many, many cities and towns across the land.

You're right, and I come across two of them at the exercise sessions for people with dodgy hearts I go to. They're quite sensible about most things, but are totally taken in by BNP propaganda.

It does worry me quite a lot that the BNP and UKIP seem to be making ground here, the neo fascist presidential wanabe in Austria has a big following (and she's an open Third Reich fan), Le Pen has a big following in France, and in the normally tolerant Netherlands the extreme fascist right is strong and growing. In all cases it's just ordinary normal people who vote for them. These people are a threat to all of our freeedoms.

In the CC poll I've put how I've actually voted - did my postal vote today. The party for which I've been doing some work isn't standing in my constituency, so I've voted tactically for our very good constituency MP to try to keep the Tories out.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Davidc said:
In the CC poll I've put how I've actually voted - did my postal vote today. The party for which I've been doing some work isn't standing in my constituency, so I've voted tactically for our very good constituency MP to try to keep the Tories out.
Funny that, we have a very good constituency Conservative MP and I am tactically voting for him to keep Labour out...

Davidc

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Funny that, we have a very good constituency Conservative MP and I am tactically voting for him to keep Labour out...

I think its sad that we don't generally chose our representatives (MPs) for their constituency work and representation. The polarisation of politics is IMO a part of our problems.

My views on the Tories and relative merits of Lab and Con parties and policies are already published on here, but I fully respect anyone who votes to keep a good local MP. Its the only reason I'd ever contemplate voting Tory.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wonder how it would work if the electoral boundaries were increased so that only 100 MP's were elected to Parliament and the other 550 or so were picked at random, subject to being fit and proper persons, rather like juries are and not under any party whip.

It would certainly put legislation under greater scrutiny and prevent anything being forced through by government bullying of their own MPs.

Davidc

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
...... the other 550 or so were picked at random, subject to being fit and proper persons, rather like juries are and not under any party whip.....

It might work! Could even be preferable to the present system. Would the randomly selected MPs still be entitled to duck houses and clean moats at our expense? (edit. Sorry - you said fit and proper persons so that can't apply).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom