The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You're going to start putting some serious hours in soon though aren't you? I've done single rides longer than that and without a helmet. And without crashing. And without my bike melting in the rain.

The evidence question still remains though. How do you know that your helmet will stop your head from failing? There's no scientific evidence out there, it's the modern equivalent of snake oil.
When you say "stop your head from failing" do you mean the inside or the outside?

I've had the skull, the outside, fail less than two months ago, its getting back to normal now but it'll take a lot longer for the inside to stop and then start healing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
When you say "stop your head from failing" do you mean the inside or the outside?

I've had the skull, the outside, fail less than two months ago, its getting back to normal now but it'll take a lot longer for the inside to stop and then start healing.
Do you think a helmet would have saved you from that? :smile: Or possibly some snake oil (I have some hanging around here somewhere, £15 to you guv plus postage natch)

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you think a helmet would have saved you from that? :smile: Or possibly some snake oil (I have some hanging around here somewhere, £15 to you guv plus postage natch)
I was sat down when it happened. And at present no helmet will save you from a base of skull injury, let alone the internal injury from any impact.

blackgoff

As @User13710 put it, insults always always come from people who would like to be able to compel others to wear helmets. You are just another in a long line thereof. No compelling argument so resort to the playground

Their was no insult, boy, just as I typed lol why the sensitivity...? a lot of facts have been bandied aróund - they save a head ???

blackgoff

You described people who don't wear them as lacking intelligence. That is an insult. Care to apologise?

Those who protest intelligence and quote mental experts who expertly advise against helmet use are offensive to me, do they apologise to me ?

Is opinion allowed here ? or is it dissected to pathetic levels of intelligence ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Opinion is all well and good but what is it based on? Care to discuss the issue on evidence?

he's not interested in debate or evidence. We could save so much money on science research if only we had more experts like that.

Pity - thread was going well tillnow

U

User33236

Mrs SG and I both wear helmets through choice, mine being reinforced my a commuting collision which, thankfully, matched most design factors and saved me from a headache. I am happy for those who's decisions differ to carry on without helmets as they are free to do (and should remain free to continue doing so).

Mrs SG, being the strong minded individual she is, has being know to get 'vocal' with cyclists she sees not wearing helmets much to my concern. Any 'killer comments' to keep her quiet in future? lol

U

User33236

"Mind your own business"?
Tried that,and similar, doesn't work.

U

User33236

Why does she feel it appropriate?
As I say she is a strong minded individual (part of the reason we get on so well!) and believes helmets should be mandatory.

I've pointed out to her the opinions from both side of the debate but she stubbornly remains pro compulsion

martint235

Dog on a bike
Their was no insult, boy, just as I typed lol why the sensitivity...? a lot of facts have been bandied aróund - they save a head ???
You seem to insist on spouting this line without the accompanying "facts" or more importantly the supporting evidence for those facts

As a leisure cyclist (15 hours a week), it's up to you whether or not you wear a helmet. If it makes you feel better carry on. If you fall off while moving at above say 15mph and hurt your head though, don't go crying to the manufacturer as they'll just tell you that you were outside the design parameters.

winjim

Smash the cistern
As a leisure cyclist (15 hours a week), it's up to you whether or not you wear a helmet. If it makes you feel better carry on. If you fall off while moving at above say 15mph and hurt your head though, don't go crying to the manufacturer as they'll just tell you that you were outside the design parameters.
I think that's debatable.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 3935941, member: 45"]And boy don't we know it.[/QUOTE]
Yet nobody wants to discuss it.:sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh well, it is an emotional issue for compulsionists.
So what emotional arguments can we make to stop her? Ask her how she would feel to be berated for wearing a helmet? Or to be berated for not wearing one while walking? The arguments around walking helmets are similar but affect more people.

It's not why I stopped wearing one but I really enjoy the rediscovered feeling of cycling without wind noise from helmet straps and neck pain from helmet vibrations. Like the song says, just get on your bikes and ride. It's more fun when it's that simple.

Top Bottom