The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Repeated blunt impact trauma. Normally in a fit/siezure/episode/call it what you want.

Neurologists. They are slowly moving onto more modern helmets as first choice.

So that'll be low impact (comparatively), what use would they be falling off at 15mph, or in a collision with a car?
Are they even designed/tested for those events?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So that'll be low impact (comparatively), what use would they be falling off at 15mph, or in a collision with a car?

Cycle helmets aren't tested for that.

classic33

Leg End Member
As said upthread, repeated blunt trauma impact is the biggest killer.

Not certain what force is required to crack/split your skull, but they are deemed good enough to prevent it. They were also good enough for cyclists thirty or more years ago. They'll also not stop your brain "bouncing about" in your skull after you've stopped.

The inflatable helmet is now being trialled.

icowden

Veteran
This is a good starting point (although from quite an old (2001) study:-
https://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(03)00092-1/fulltext

There is this well known Australian study which was focused on Paediatric injuries:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2542522/

There is a canadian study which focuses on mortality only:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/184/17/E921

And there is an interesting aggregate study of studies between 1989 and 2017. The statement on cyclehelmets.org is not inconsistent with the idea of helmets providing protection. What I haven't found is a study suggesting that injuries have increased as a result of wearing cycle helmets, only studies that suggest that wearing one can prevent damage to the head and upper face.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is not an injury likely to be suffered by cyclists, off topic:sad:.
The "hairnet" was a standard helmet at one point.

But as someone said the increase in risk compensation amongst field sports players was shown to increase, when helmets were worn. Blunt trauma impacts increased as well. This increase in risk compensation by those who choose to wear a helmet, led to an increase in blunt trauma impacts in those people.

How it transferred from field sports to road cycling was explained by risk compensation (alone) increasing in those who wore one.

snorri

Legendary Member
The statement on cyclehelmets.org is not inconsistent with the idea of helmets providing protection. What I haven't found is a study suggesting that injuries have increased as a result of wearing cycle helmets, only studies that suggest that wearing one can prevent damage to the head and upper face.
There doesn't appear to be much in the way of recent research, including risk compensation. It's not unusual to hear of regular helmet wearers feeling unsafe when not wearing a helmet which would suggest risk compensation in utility cycling could be an interesting topic for research.
In light of lack of further research, it would seem there can be little validity in calls for compulsory helmet wear for utility cycling.

Zanelad

Guru
I wore a helmet for the first time today. I'd grown up not wearing one and had never given much thought to wearing one. Having started commuting by bike my wife has mentioned getting one a couple of times. I got one at the weekend and I must admit to feeling a bit of a wally wearing it in the shop and when I got home. Mrs Z insisted that I parade around the house in it. . Much sniggering, even tbough it was her idea. I felt a bit self conscious as I set off this morning, but forgot about it after a couple of minutes. Riding home I never gave it a second thought. I can't say that I felt any safer, but every little helps I guess.

classic33

Leg End Member
I wore a helmet for the first time today. I'd grown up not wearing one and had never given much thought to wearing one. Having started commuting by bike my wife has mentioned getting one a couple of times. I got one at the weekend and I must admit to feeling a bit of a wally wearing it in the shop and when I got home. Mrs Z insisted that I parade around the house in it. . Much sniggering, even tbough it was her idea. I felt a bit self conscious as I set off this morning, but forgot about it after a couple of minutes. Riding home I never gave it a second thought. I can't say that I felt any safer, but every little helps I guess.
It's not always just yourself that you may be helping. If wearing one makes someone else at ease over you cycling, would it hurt?

Well my trusty Hoy Vulpine cap is still going strong ,I was hit by a car on a large roundabout whilst on the Llanfair 400km Audax resulting in a quite large head wound and small bleed on the brain after bouncing off the passenger side windscreen pillar. The SAR (subarachnoid haemorrhage) wasn't anywhere near the impact site and was probably caused by my brain bouncing around my skull :wacko:

Not an endorsement for not wearing a helmet or Hoy Vulpine caps more a counter balance to all the "A helmet saved my life" posts.

Paul

Top Bottom