The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you don't want to wear a helmet then don't wear a helmet. But if you have a head injury whilst not wearing a helmet then please post about it the details would be appreciated.
I took the liberty of correcting your post in the bold lettering, as I assume that is what you meant?

If you feel better wearing a helmet, then by all means fill your boots - but please don't make out like those of us who take the default position (that means NOT wearing a helmet, as nature intended) are somehow being reckless with our lives; setting a bad example; costing the NHS; or any number of other accusations that get banded about.

Can I ask you; do you wear a helmet around the house, out driving, or in fact any other activity - all of which carry a risk of head injury? No I thought not, because you regard the risk as low. You might want to research head injuries in car accidents even with crumple zones and air bags being pretty much standard these days. I regard the risk of head injury to be low while cycling, so I don't wear a helmet. But then, I look after my bike and ride in such a way as to hopefully reduce the accident risk in the first place. Please don't come back with the predictable response re being hit by a fast moving car, as I think we've already covered that one. Even if I DO have an accident (as I have admitted to having many in the past), the risk of striking my head is low. If I do strike my head, I have a hard skull, much harder than a cycle helmet. If I break my skull, so be it, I'm clean out of luck. The EN1078 approved helmet isn't going to prevent that.

I accept there is an element of risk in cycling, as with every other activity we do. Why do cyclists get singled out for this "must wear a helmet" nonsense? Particularly when their effectiveness is more than a little bit questionable. "Because the pro's wear them"? The pro's wear them because the manufacturers pay them a lot of money to wear them so that gullible people buy them. Pre helmet times, was there a big problem with death and destruction during pro bike races as a result of head injuries? Jut wondering.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fair points you make there. Shall we go for a spill down Winnats Pass or the Tumble in Govilon Monmouthshire? You without a helmet and me with. Let's see who fairs better shall we?

Risk compensation overtly at work.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some of us have to wear them on club rides
However, no-one is forcing you to go on club rides in the first place. Clearly you have decided that you value club rides enough to put up with the silly rules they have in place before they will allow you to participate. That's fair enough. Club riding simply holds no appeal to me, and if it did then I might wear a helmet to enable me to take part.
I refuse to take part in any cycling events which stipulate a helmet must be worn. One of the events I DO take part in is the annual "Round Strathaven 50", a 50 mile route around, not surprisingly, Strathaven! They do not require the wearing of a helmet. Thing is, I always DO wear a helmet on this ride (I'm not actually anti-helmet, I own 3 of them - I am anti compulsion) simply because everyone else does and I don't want to stand out as someone trying to make a point. I certainly don't wear it through any great belief that it's going to save my life.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Some of us have to wear them on club rides so it’s pointless not wearing when out solo. To go out without one would be cool in the summer but I’d feel vulnerable.

You should feel the same amount of vulnerability wearing your helmet. If you don’t, that’s risk compensation right there. Hey I don’t feel vulnerable let’s go faster down this hill, or round this corner. Whether it’s conscious or not.

Some errands to do this morning and whilst out in the van there was a lot of cyclists out, good weather, big cycling area helps.
What I did notice was that everyone had a cycle helmet on except a very old gentlemen who wore a cap. Families with kids, full Lycra clad race demons, mudguard equipped winter mile munchers, all with cycle helmets. When I ride I wear one because I have kids and as they are told from school, to skate parks, to MTB trail parks they must wear a helmet it’s really all the know. As an adult they look up to me to set an example so wether I agree or not that’s just the way it is. It’s seems the older generation who grew up before the plastic lids where around and mandatory in cycle clubs, Grand tours and present on the worlds best racers, don’t wear them and object massively to them. The younger generation especially those with toddlers say are more likely to just accept it and wear one without researching a million opinions or facts. I would never dream of discussing the fors and against with my son because his school insist he wears one to enter school premises on a bike or scooter so for him it’s just the norm and he will grow up like thousands of others seeing it that way. Eventually the pro- helmet population will outweigh the against as the next generation moves on

Eventually the pro- helmet population will outweigh the against as the next generation moves on
I don't know anyone who's 'against' cycle helmets, plenty of people are against compulsion for well documented reasons but even amongst those who would never wear one, I've never heard anyone express an opinion that people shouldn't.
From a personal point of view, I did quite a lot of research and decided not to wear one for the type of riding I do, I'd probably dig mine out if I decided to go mountain biking though and if I went a bit bonkers and decided to try downhill again I'd probably invest in a full face job and some body amour as there'd be a fair chance of an impact involving a stationary tree.
I do find it annoying when helmet advocates assume that those of us who choose not to wear one are both hell bent on stopping other people doing so and somehow mentally deficient.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I don't know anyone who's 'against' cycle helmets
I am, in the sense that I’m against the thoughtless promotion of polystyrene hats as necessary. I think they are a barrier to the encouragement of cycling as an ordinary everyday activity. If you are told to wear headgear that is sold as protective against head injury, there must be a significant risk of head injury, right? For the vast majority of non-competitive cycling that simply isn’t the case.

I think their use allows the transfer of responsibility on the rare occasions when there is injury resulting from a collision. Somehow the rider is expected to share the blame when she is knocked off by the driver of a tonne and a half of motor vehicle, whatever the circumstances. You drive carefully, I’ll ride sensibly, and we likely won’t have any problems.

I object to being expected, if not compelled, to dress in a particular fashion accessory when all I want to do is get to the shops, or to work, or to the coast for a day out.

I am, in the sense that I’m against the thoughtless promotion of polystyrene hats as necessary. I think they are a barrier to the encouragement of cycling as an ordinary everyday activity. If you are told to wear headgear that is sold as protective against head injury, there must be a significant risk of head injury, right? For the vast majority of non-competitive cycling that simply isn’t the case.

I think their use allows the transfer of responsibility on the rare occasions when there is injury resulting from a collision. Somehow the rider is expected to share the blame when she is knocked off by the driver of a tonne and a half of motor vehicle, whatever the circumstances. You drive carefully, I’ll ride sensibly, and we likely won’t have any problems.

I object to being expected, if not compelled, to dress in a particular fashion accessory when all I want to do is get to the shops, or to work, or to the coast for a day out.
I agree with all that, I suppose I meant no one (I know at any rate) is against people wearing them if they choose to do so, also there are some cycling activities such as downhill racing where wearing a helmet & other sorts of protective equipment would seem to be a good idea.

Milzy

Guru
Just a point to note. Winnats is one of those 'up only' hills. I've seen a cyclist coming down it once, but they were tourists and someone explained the error of their ways and they agreed not to do it again.
It’s not an up only hill at all. Many do the Fred Whitton course in reverse. Like I went down pea Royd Lane today. It was strange but perfectly legal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with all that, I suppose I meant no one (I know at any rate) is against people wearing them if they choose to do so, also there are some cycling activities such as downhill racing where wearing a helmet & other sorts of protective equipment would seem to be a good idea.
I am against their use on the public highway. You don't see ordinary drivers in F1 hats, suits and restraints and arguably it would be careless driving due to restricted vision and I think the same could be argued for cycling. If you ain't racing, don't take risks.

But I suppose even that is not a total opposition because it is entirely up to closed road race organisers what "It's a Knockout" fancy dress impediments they demand and no one has to enter a race. I suspect they are a no-change move for racing, with no apparent reduction in head injuries since Kivilev.

Top Bottom