The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Helmets don't have a lot of heat resistance

What's your point?

IMG_2476_zpsrhhfh7wz.jpg

IMG_2477_zpsaadzniyg.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsaac3dops.jpg

IMG_2479_zpshmaf6tke.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Helmets don't have a lot of heat resistance

IMG_2476_zpsrhhfh7wz.jpg

IMG_2477_zpsaadzniyg.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsaac3dops.jpg

IMG_2479_zpshmaf6tke.jpg

looks like it protected you from a nasty burn - done its job I'd say !
Best to replace it rather than carrying on using it.

Of course the naysayers will be round saying it's failed and that helmets should be made of asbestos and lord knows what else

Do I dare ask what caused that to happen? Looks pretty serious.

I leave my helmets by the front door.

Mother in Law decided this wasn't "safe" so took it into the kitchen and placed it on top of halogen hob where it would be safer

A few minutes later - bad smell and demolished helmet

Sharky

Guru
Need some Helmet's Mayonaise to go with it.

simongt

Guru
I always use a bash hat when I go out on a bike; but that's my choice. An interesting point made to me once by a non cyclist was 'If there was a pill / vaccination that would reduce the chance of your getting a potentially crippling / fatal illness, would you take that pill / vaccination - ?' He meant of course for 'pill / vaccination', read 'bash hat'. Interesting and valid comparison.

I always use a bash hat when I go out on a bike; but that's my choice. An interesting point made to me once by a non cyclist was 'If there was a pill / vaccination that would reduce the chance of your getting a potentially crippling / fatal illness, would you take that pill / vaccination - ?' He meant of course for 'pill / vaccination', read 'bash hat'. Interesting and valid comparison.
But there's a line somewhere. Like the efficiency of the pill, and any side effects it might have.

martint235

Dog on a bike
No it's not valid. Not even close. That pill/vaccine would have been tested not only for side effects but for efficacy. Once the evidence had been gathered, it would have been peer reviewed and further examined before being made publicly available. There are vaccines out there that "might" help you not get an illness but the evidence supporting them is still far, far greater than "my mate crashed and didn't die cos of his helmet"

classic33

Leg End Member

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/heads-up-drugs-side-effects.189350/
You can at least get a fairly good idea on what to expect from any medication though.

Top Bottom