The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oy! That's my line!
I was there first!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The number of people who died whilst putting on their trousers is greater than zero, so according to Justinslow that must be a dangerous activity!

Justin, just because there is some risk (as there is with virtually everything we do) doesn't make an activity dangerous. Cycling is a low risk, not particularly dangerous activity.

The important thing here is that whether or not you wear a helmet is YOUR choice and that the choice you make is informed and consensual

I always love:
The fact that the Melon test is unequivocal for cyclists but very silly for pedestrians

A few deaths per year is unequivocal for cyclists but greater numbers for pedestrians is very silly

Either desperate or hypocritical

Is it possible that the whole nation across the North Sea has a much safer cycling ecosystem such as
  • comprehensive and segregated bike lanes with controlled crossings etc
  • in a collision the presumed liability sits with the motorised party
  • they start from young and that they and their cycles are one (better control)
  • they ride at a much slower speed
They hardly wear lycra or cycle specific clothes and would you like to offer your view.

Interesting post, kind of like chalk and cheese you mean?

Not at all... more like the average cyclist,

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In fairness, I don't think it is either of those two things. I think it is just unthinking.

Yes, I think that's often the case.
It was for me.
When I first started cycling to work, 6 years ago, I wore one as it was "common sense" and "they must do some good". I'd sometimes not bother to wear one if I was popping to the shops or pootling on an offroad path.

But I decided to actually examine the evidence, and discovered that there was no reliable evidence to show they were effective at reducing head injuries. As I found cycling without a helmet much more pleasurable, I decided to stop wearing one.

So I think lots of people wear one because they have been misled or haven't thought about it properly.

gds58

Über Member
This ridiculous debate kind of reminds me of when I was a serving Police Officer and the compulsory wearing of seatbelts was introduced and we had countless smart-arse awkward idiots who came up with all sorts of reasons as to why it was safer NOT to wear one. I remember sometimes thinking that in the event of an accident THEY will be the one suffering if they choose not to have worn one. Same applies to cycle helmets so let 'em get on with it and maybe learn the hard way. Far too many morons claiming it was an 'infringement on their human rights'. Leaving your partner to spend hers or his life looking after a 'vegetable' isn't too clever either. Doesn't exactly give them much freedom of choice afterwards!

Citius

This ridiculous debate kind of reminds me of when I was a serving Police Officer and the compulsory wearing of seatbelts was introduced and we had countless smart-arse awkward idiots who came up with all sorts of reasons as to why it was safer NOT to wear one. I remember sometimes thinking that in the event of an accident THEY will be the one suffering if they choose not to have worn one. Same applies to cycle helmets so let 'em get on with it and maybe learn the hard way. Far too many morons claiming it was an 'infringement on their human rights'. Leaving your partner to spend hers or his life looking after a 'vegetable' isn't too clever either. Doesn't exactly give them much freedom of choice afterwards!

Nice to see you wearing a lid in your avatar there. Basically just an aeroshell, isn't it..??

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Have you actually read anything at all from the sceptical side. You sir are a completer arse. Sorry but there's no polite way of saying it

Just a small point of fact - I really don't think that I am a "smart-arse awkward idiot" for choosing not to wear a helmet.

B****r "human rights". Nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I choose not to wear a helmet on the road. For my safety.

Because far, far too any "smart-arse awkward idiots" in motors THINK (I regret using that word in this context) that a helmet means a cyclist is impregnable and will bounce. And therefore feel entirely blameless when they pull unforgivably close overtakes, and attempt death-defying SMIDSYs.

gds58

Über Member
Because far, far too any "smart-arse awkward idiots" in motors THINK (I regret using that word in this context) that a helmet means a cyclist is impregnable and will bounce. And therefore feel entirely blameless when they pull unforgivably close overtakes, and attempt death-defying SMIDSYs.

Complete and utter nonsense! Do you really imagine that motorists bother to make an assessment of whether or not a cyclist is wearing a helmet. Some drivers will simply drive in a certain way regardless of other factors. Your 'argument' suggests that if a cyclist is NOT wearing a helmet that he or she will be given more respect from motorists! You're in fantasy land I'm afraid, it makes no difference to them at all.

Top Bottom