The Daily Mail gets all uppity ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
There are so many glaring inconsistencies in this article ("lycra louts are the problem, I got mugged by some youths on bikes...etc") that it isn't worth taking seriously as anything other than the understanable spleen-venting of someone whose mother has been hurt.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Eh? Lycra louts aren't all that bad,they may not bother stopping at the reds but they are good eggs IMHO.

It's like saying all BMW drivers are bad and we know they are not,children.

sabian92

Über Member
There are so many glaring inconsistencies in this article ("lycra louts are the problem, I got mugged by some youths on bikes...etc") that it isn't worth taking seriously as anything other than the understanable spleen-venting of someone whose mother has been hurt.

What if they were youths on bikes in lycra? ;)

I see your point though. She's tarring every cyclist with the same brush because she's bitter.

D

Deleted member 20519

"There are rogues: Lycra louts whose intentions are as low as the meanest hit-men. In 2012, I had my handbag stolen by a gang of youths on bikes.

I thought Team Sky were pretty well funded, didn't think they'd resort to that! ^_^

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm sorry, but if this had read 'Car driver hit and run leaving cyclist with seriously broken arm', you wouldn't be saying this.
RLJ'ing is endemic in London by many commuter cyclists at the end of the day (as anywhere else here TBH)

Irrespective of her ranting and putting the world to rights in her column, her mothers situation should be given the respect it deserves. The cyclists should have ridden at a speed which they could stop in the distance seen to be safe, and they should have stopped at the scene of and accident. I find the latter to be very cowardly when they put someone on the floor through their selfish stupidity. It is unforgivable whatever mode they use to get around with.

The first accident - the rlj -ing cyclist, was terrible. He shouldn't have been jumping a light, he shouldn't have rode off -but that is a one off incident and in no way calls for all cyclists being branded "lycra louts"
If somebody wrote an article branding all motorists as "caged maniacs" because one hit somebody on a pedestrian crossing, and they'd tried their hand at driving and didn't like it, then I would most certainly be calling them all manner of stupid too.

Sandra6

Veteran

Her mother must be particularly unlucky if this is happening to her every other year or so!

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
The first accident - the rlj -ing cyclist, was terrible. He shouldn't have been jumping a light, he shouldn't have rode off -but that is a one off incident and in no way calls for all cyclists being branded "lycra louts"
If somebody wrote an article branding all motorists as "caged maniacs" because one hit somebody on a pedestrian crossing, and they'd tried their hand at driving and didn't like it, then I would most certainly be calling them all manner of stupid too.

That's the media for you.They really do print some guff but im afraid people fall for it.

thefollen

Veteran
Shocking article. I'd be angry if I didn't find her brainless, la-dee-dah, middle-classy opinions and terminology so amusing.

'Bent over handlebars in their garish Lycra armour and insect-shaped-helmets, cyclists see themselves as Lancelots'

This cracked me up.

Of course I have sympathy for the elderly lady and her injuries, and yes, some cyclists can be very dangerous in the times they choose to disobey the highway code. Don't get me started on Regent Street though; a Christmas or so ago I had to execute a stunt-cyclist-esque sideways skid on my hybrid to avoid a couple of numpty shoppers that just walked into the road without looking. Upon my shout they simply stared gormlessly at me as I stopped within about 6 inches of them.

I've never been hit by a cyclist as a pedestrian because I look before I change direction or cross a road. Seen loads doing daft things, but most are ultimately avoidable with a bit of vigilance. Ok, I'm a fit 31 year old bloke and can appreciate an elderly person may not have as much awareness or quick reflexes. Still, if you're going to get about in London you must be fully aware of your surroundings. Due to the dense population there are going to be people that will do stupid things on roads- cyclists/peds/drivers - rather than demonise one group due to a bad experience, personally I believe it's better to be prepared, have a full grasp of your surroundings, accept that often someone will do something silly and be ready to act.

'

Top Bottom