The Daily Mail gets all uppity ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
[QUOTE 2032509, member: 45"]The problem is that the journo herself has diluted her mother's situation by using it as justification for a ridiculous rant on "lycra louts".[/quote]
What you said, plus given how stupid and lazy the article is, I just don't believe that her mother was even involved in an accident as described.

Linford

Interesting wikipedia page on this Petronella fool. One bit which jumped out was....

"She writes against cycling in London as championed by her ex-lover Boris Johnson"

Hell hath no fury?

Her mother was the 4th wife of Woodrow Wyatt. Boris is pro bike, and apparently got Petronella up the duff a couple of times - he mother went balisitc as he apparently quibbled about he cost of her abortion

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Now I know what she looks like if I'm ever cycling in London I'll keep an eye out for her and try and crash into her. (The journalist not her mother, although she is probably every bit as bad. Sod it I hope they're together when I see her so that I can get them both)

Sara_H

Guru
Now I know what she looks like if I'm ever cycling in London I'll keep an eye out for her and try and crash into her. (The journalist not her mother, although she is probably every bit as bad. Sod it I hope they're together when I see her so that I can get them both)
:eek: You can't say that! :eek:

Just think it like the rest of us :crazy::bicycle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2032368, member: 1314"]It's a regurgitated 2010 article:

Last week I met a friend for coffee. 'How is your mother?' she asked. I stared into my latte. 'Um, she had a serious accident. Her arm is broken.' 'Oh, no. What on earth happened?' 'She was run down by a bicycle.'

2010 article here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-cult-cycling-frail-mother-knocked-down.html

Bikebiz article here:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/da...olumnist-wants-cyclists-to-be-licenced/013603[/quote]
Either that or Verushka Banszky Von Ambroz is the unluckiest woman in London...

caesar

Cancer of the eyes probably.

Cancer of the soul. Fact.

caesar

This garbage made it into the Standard too:

Ms Wyatt, who lives with her mother in St John’s Wood, said: “If my mother had been hit twice by a car in a similar space of time, the general reaction would have been one of horror and outrage. “The anti-car lobby has portrayed motorists as evil, greedy killers of the innocent and destroyers of the planet."

Yes, it's unlikely that she would have been hit twice by a car because the chances are the first one would have killed her you daft moo.

Urban England is not suited to bicycles

but it is to cars?!

GrasB

Veteran
In my experience older people who complain about cyclists & drivers charging around also have a fair amount of blame on their shoulders. These people seem to make up the bulk of pedestrians who start to cross the road when they see the road traffic has an amber light regardless of what speed the traffic is flowing at & look down the road then cross anyway. They put road users in a very difficult positions to deal with & then complain when someone doesn't quite manage to get out of their way in time.

I'm not saying that this did happen in this case, I'm fairly sure we'd never find out what really happend but it's possible the behaviour of her mother could contribute towards being knocked over.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
:eek: You can't say that! :eek:

Just think it like the rest of us :crazy::bicycle:
I should perhaps have made it clear that I wouldn't really do it. I was just so annoyed by her complete ignorance and by the way it was a cynically rehashed piece from 2 years ago that I felt like countering it with something as equally unreasonable, stupid and reactionary.
In real life I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of running into her on my bike just so that she could claim to be right. Also I wouldn't want to risk knackering my bike.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[QUOTE 2034755, member: 1314"]Frankly I don't believe Petra.[/quote]
As a default setting I don't believe anything in the daily mail or anything anyone reporting for it says. I think that the kindest thing one can say about someone who takes the mail at face value is that they are at best naive.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Her mother must be particularly unlucky if this is happening to her every other year or so!

Perhaps she stands at red lights waiting for cyclists to knock her over so that she can keep her daughter in work writing for a toilet paper tabloid. Her next article may accuse us of taking jobs from car mechanics by not driving cars.

Top Bottom