The Dangers of Compression Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Next the Telegraph will be telling us it's getting warmer because of manmade emissions or some such.

I must be becoming obsessed with breakfast condiments

I read that as "marmalade emissions"

So, no one said let's get in touch with this team and clarify what they meant? Of course not, because a huge percentage of newspaper 'news' these days consists of unread regurgitated press releases. Some may not mind, but when it comes to 'research' like this I think it's quite important. Still, as you were.
Yup, and you keep focusing on the most important thing in this article.

Or use google to find a better source of the same information.

Edit: further thinking about it, I can't think it would be a brilliant use of a journalists time to investigate whether he meant "increase incidence" or "hasten onset". Maybe a more thorough discussion of methodology, questions about the number of subjects, or why the test was on a treadmill yet the conclusion was advice for cycling - yes, but the slight nuances of "onset", not so much.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Next thing is that, as a old fart, I am disallowed enjoying a bacon sarnie, or cake, half way round a 50 mile ride on health reasons!

e1a9253d489e28b5defb38e8f1ac1c87.jpg
No you can eat all you like.As long as you are wearing cycle clothing.

U

User169

Yup, and you keep focusing on the most important thing in this article.

Or use google to find a better source of the same information.

Edit: further thinking about it, I can't think it would be a brilliant use of a journalists time to investigate whether he meant "increase incidence" or "hasten onset". Maybe a more thorough discussion of methodology, questions about the number of subjects, or why the test was on a treadmill yet the conclusion was advice for cycling - yes, but the slight nuances of "onset", not so much.

The work on older subjects was carried out using a cycling test.

U

User169

Well, it seems to me that the "slight nuances of 'onset'" are actually quite crucial. The research used runners as participants. The only result that seems to be pretty clear was that this type of clothing lowered the performance levels of all participants, regardless of age. The other 'results' are speculation. The title of this thread is 'The Dangers of Compression Clothing'. Based on the report of this study, there probably aren't any beyond not going as fast as one is capable of, due to one's performance being affected by one's clothes, and thereby not winning the [running] race. Hey ho.

The Telegraph piece and the press release are confusing because they conflates the results of four separate pieces of research.

The work on older subjects was was based on a cycling test and the authors show that subjects wearing an "upper body compression garment" had a higher core temperature and body temperature at the end of the test (compared to subjects that did the same test in a non-compression garment).

http://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/10.1123/japa.2016-0106

I've just realised, it is all nonsense.

These tops, like merino base layers would cool you by wicking sweat to the surface and allowing it evaporate.

As anyone who has used a turbo or stationary trainer knows, sweat does not evaporate the way it does outdoors, thus negating any possible cooling effect while still allowing the insulating effect. Of course they overheated.

Reactions: mjr
U

User169

I've just realised, it is all nonsense.

These tops, like merino base layers would cool you by wicking sweat to the surface and allowing it evaporate.

As anyone who has used a turbo or stationary trainer knows, sweat does not evaporate the way it does outdoors, thus negating any possible cooling effect while still allowing the insulating effect. Of course they overheated.

I think that's what they were trying to factor out in the study on older subjects. They wanted to look at the effect of compression per se.

Hardly the same.
"For this reason Leoz recommends that this population should not use heat-dissipating compression clothing, as it could increase the onset of hyperthermia (raising of body temperature above the normal levels)."

To make that recommendation based on experiments where the heat dissipation functionality can't work is like recommending refrigerators based on tests where the cooling functionality can't work.

DRM

Guru
When I did my last first aid course, we learned hyperthermia is over heating, hypothermia is being too cold, therefore the article makes no sense, as all my lycra kit & base layers wick sweat away, keeping you cool, but not allowing you to freeze when you stop excercising. due to cold sweaty clothing.xx(

Top Bottom