The Dangers of Compression Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Can't remember the last time it was more than 20C anywhere around here

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Mr Leoz said that older people should not use heat-dissipating compression clothing, because it could increase the onset of hyperthermia - the raising of body temperature above the normal levels."
Well is is 'heat-dissipating" or isn't it? And I don't think one can "increase the onset" of something.
Surely people don't wear clothing with high lycra content to keep warm or cool particularly, but because it doesn't flap.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
In the case of trained cyclists with an average age of 66, garments actually increased body temperature and in some cases increased heart rate after an intense effort.

I thought it was normal for the heart rate to increase after physical effort?
Regardless of what one is wearing, body temperature is going to rise after exercise.
I think either the wording of the study is wrong or it is a load of tosh.

Mr Leoz said that older people should not use heat-dissipating compression clothing, because it could increase the onset of hyperthermia - the raising of body temperature above the normal levels.
Which is what I would expect after cycling a good distance.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I dont think normal lycra cycling shorts and jerseys actually are "compression clothing"

Also have they factored in the extra heat produced overcoming the extra wind resistance of loose clothing?

As usual more questions than answers.

iandg

Legendary Member
Can't remember the last time it was more than 20C anywhere around here

I don't remember double figures :smile:

Top Bottom