The Dentist System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our dentist has gone 'private' - same age as my younger brother who is 'also' a dentist. So without one at present.

That said, if I need a quick fix, I can always ask my brother as he will fit us in (despite not being registered there). He's still adamantly NHS, doesn't want to go private due to all the training costs that were paid for. He even did a fair stint in macilliofacial before getting a share in a practice. The advantage is they can see us out of 'hours' as his Mrs was a Dental Nurse Trainier ! I've not been to him, but my son has, as have his Mrs family.

vickster

Legendary Member
But as I said, with my GP practise, I've been registered with them for over 26 years and the only time they've seen me is when I had appendicitis about ten years ago and when I broke my femur after being knocked off my bike six years ago - ! Not much allowing for a regular health checkup to see if I had / have any potential health issues. How does this acccount for payment - ? :whistle:

Have you proactively requested a regular health check? It’s offered to all over 40s by the NHS (I’m guessing you’re over 40?)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/what-is-an-nhs-health-check-new/

If you're not sure if you're eligible for an NHS Health Check and would like one, or if you are eligible but have not had an NHS Health Check in the last 5 years, ask at a GP surgery for an appointment.

vickster

Legendary Member
Been over 40 for twenty years nearly, never once been invited for a health check.

Have you requested one?
or do you see a doctor for any ongoing health conditions that would lead yiu to have the standard tests that would be part of a health check anyhow?

rualexander

Legendary Member
No, haven't requested one, it says in the above link that you get invited every five years or so, well, not around here you don't.
I've seen a GP about four times in the past 10 years, none of them have ever shown any interest in any routine checks.
I have had some investigations in the past year though which have probably covered all the bases that would be covered in these checks anyway.
Hard enough to get anywhere near a GP around here anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, haven't requested one, it says in the above link that you get invited every five years or so, well, not around here you don't.
I've seen a GP about four times in the past 10 years, none of them have ever shown any interest in any routine checks.
I have had some investigations in the past year though which have probably covered all the bases that would be covered in these checks anyway.

The checks are more likely done by the practice nurse :okay:
The link says if you haven’t had one (and want one), contact your GP surgery :okay:

alicat

Legendary Member
Your GP gets paid by the NHS for having you on his books. You pay your dentist the NHS scale for checkups and work done. They only make money if you attend for checkups in between other treatment. Simples.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Have you proactively requested a regular health check? It’s offered to all over 40s by the NHS (I’m guessing you’re over 40?)
Aye, when I was over 50, just out of curiosity, really, there was nothing wrong with me.
Same here: but it depends by the area, friends of mine that live in a different council were invited to a health check (before covid)
Same here: they keep sending me texts "don't come" because of corona :laugh:
Not that I go anyway!
The checks are more likely done by the practice nurse
When I requested one, just to see if I had the usual over 50's ailments, the practice nurse said that they didn't do health checks anymore, there was no demand.:rolleyes:

Adam4868

Guru
Not a single dentist here that will take NHS on.My dentist has retired but I've stayed on with new owners.Cant say I like them either but no choice really.

vickster

Legendary Member
A male friend of mine who lives in Scotland says that because metabolic, cardiac and cardiovascular diseases are so frequent among the male population, he and all other men over 50 get invited for annual health checks as standard! I don’t know if that’s all areas (he’s in Port Glasgow)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A male friend of mine who lives in Scotland says that because metabolic, cardiac and cardiovascular diseases are so frequent among the male population, he and all other men over 50 get invited for annual health checks as standard! I don’t know if that’s all areas (he’s in Port Glasgow)
Ah, possibly.
My friend who encouraged me to go for a health check is male.
Next week I'll make time to phone my dentist to see if they have resumed 6 monthly check ups.

rualexander

Legendary Member

No it's not all areas.
I'm just outside Glasgow.
60 next month.
Never hear a cheep from my GP practice unless it's to say don't call us (during COVID), or they've changed the appointments system to make it more difficult, etc.

midlife

Guru
Just thinking about the differences between doctors and dentists….

There was a pilot study here in the UK where dentists were paid like doctors. Payment to keep you on the books with some (small or zero) payments for work done.

The idea was that there was an incentive to keep people on your books (get paid), do regular check ups and preventive work and keep patients mouths healthy. Was called capitation and started with children first.

Dentists pocketed the monthly payment and then ignored the patients.... quietly dropped as a method of payment.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Except we don't pay an 'NHS stamp', we just pay tax.
And have you tried going as needed to a GP recently?

I think with dentistry the idea is that if you go regularly for check ups, they can keep an eye on things and treat any issues as they crop up, but if you turn up after two years or more with a mouthfull of major problems then it becomes difficult for the dentist to treat you within NHS treatment budgets.

Isn't NHI (supposedly) intended to fund the NHS?, no doubt, topped up by Gneral taxation

Isn't the 'regular check-ups' ice equally, if not more relevant to GPs, ie screening to detect problems, before they become major?

Top Bottom