The Dentist System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
We pay our 'NHS stamp' and for that, we can register with a GP practise and go as needed with no worry about being de-registered if we don't go for a while.
But with a dental practise, if you don't 'attend' for over two years, usually you are de-registered and have to register again or find another pratcise.
Why the difference - ? :whistle:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We pay our 'NHS stamp' and for that, we can register with a GP practise and go as needed with no worry about being de-registered if we don't go for a while.
But with a dental practise, if you don't 'attend' for over two years, usually you are de-registered and have to register again or find another pratcise.

Maybe as I presume they receive a payment for your 6 monthly check ups even although they are free to you? If you don’t keep going, they will want to fill your place with someone who does.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe as I presume they receive a payment for your 6 monthly check ups even although they are free to you? If you don’t keep going, they will want to fill your place with someone who does.
I think you are correct, Mo.
However, they must surely have a lockdowns backlog.
My last check up was in autumn 2019: still no reminder to attend from the dentist.
I think they want to operate mainly private.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My last check up was in autumn 2019: still no reminder to attend from the dentist.

I’ve hung on to mine in Perth as I agree, they are getting harder to find now. Had a check up last week and going back next month for scale and polish.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
About a year ago I chipped a tooth, reluctantly they gave me an appointment.
To have the tooth filed would have needed the sterilization of the room after, because of Corona.
They were reluctant, told me to come back if I was in pain.
I haven't heard from them since. :rolleyes:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
About a year ago I chipped a tooth, reluctantly they gave me an appointment.
To have the tooth filed would have needed the sterilization of the room after, because of Corona.
They were reluctant, told me to come back if I was in pain.
I haven't heard from them since. :rolleyes:

You should maybe get in touch. They are almost back to normal now.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
About 6 months ago I lost a filling from a back tooth and as the root had been treated before it was not painful. Because of lockdown I have not been to a dentist for about 2 years but I was taken the same day and treatment done free. Had a chat with the dentist about cycling which she is keen on so that may have helped.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
OTOH, I've had a fair amount of dental work this year + started with orthodontics. Last november I paid £85 over the phone just to book a consultation - in April. Can't help but think a regular 2yr registration with an NHS dentist wouldn't necessesarily be as prompt?

Once I began paying £15mo that will also get me checkups and hygienist appointments - the appointment book opened right up and I was able to juggle them all around shift pattern. Same when the dentist referred me onto the orthodontist, I went straight in as a private patient and have had a consultation appt and another this week for funky complete 3d scans - another appt of many in a few weeks time and I've yet to pay out a penny. (As per another thread, this will be quite a few pennies in the end!)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
NHS dentistry is a bloody shambles and urgently needs sorting.

Quite why this issue has not become important enough for politicians (of any political colour) to grasp is beyond me.

We have an NHS dentist in Kendal but seeking a NHS dentist near you search that are taking patients results in Hexham; some 58 miles away! Even Leeds appears in the first 10 results.

An unbelievable mess.

midlife

Guru
The old idea of being registered with an NHS dentist has effectively been dropped. If you are on a private monthly scheme then that's sort of like the old NHS registration idea.

Here in Cumbria there are no practices taking on new NHS patients (possibly Eden Dental in Carlisle are?) and 2 NHS practices are going private this month.

Just out of curiosity Mr thmnet, which orthodontist are you seeing?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The old idea of being registered with an NHS dentist has effectively been dropped. If you are on a private monthly scheme then that's sort of like the old NHS registration idea.

Here in Cumbria there are no practices taking on new NHS patients (possibly Eden Dental in Carlisle are?) and 2 NHS practices are going private this month.

Just out of curiosity Mr thmnet, which orthodontist are you seeing?

David Kennedy of Kennedy Orthodontics in Ballymena

rualexander

Legendary Member

Except we don't pay an 'NHS stamp', we just pay tax.
And have you tried going as needed to a GP recently?

I think with dentistry the idea is that if you go regularly for check ups, they can keep an eye on things and treat any issues as they crop up, but if you turn up after two years or more with a mouthfull of major problems then it becomes difficult for the dentist to treat you within NHS treatment budgets.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

contact them just to make sure , work mate had similar and they took him off the books without telling him which was a nightmare when he needed emergency treatment

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
But as I said, with my GP practise, I've been registered with them for over 26 years and the only time they've seen me is when I had appendicitis about ten years ago and when I broke my femur after being knocked off my bike six years ago - ! Not much allowing for a regular health checkup to see if I had / have any potential health issues. How does this acccount for payment - ? :whistle:

Top Bottom