The Dentist System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the cost of training to become a dentist borne by the NHS/Taxpayer? If so, unless they exclusively treat NHS patients I think they should have to repay the full cost of their training,

D

Deleted member 26715

Is the cost of training to become a dentist borne by the NHS/Taxpayer? If so, unless they exclusively treat NHS patients I think they should have to repay the full cost of their training,

Clear as mud to me, https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/ca...financial-support-medical-and-dental-students

midlife

Guru
Whilst medical and dental students pay fees like any other student, the additional costs of training are met by the taxpayer mostly. Used to be called SIFT

keithmac

Guru
Our Dentist dropped 6000 NHS patients overnight and went private.

I've ended up signing up for £15 or £20 per month for two checkups just to stay on their books as there's no NHS places available anywhere.

Shocking really but what can you do?.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My Dec 2021 dental appt was postponed 5 times - finally done in July. I wonder if private patients (of the same practice) had to wait so long?

keithmac

Guru
My Dec 2021 dental appt was postponed 5 times - finally done in July. I wonder if private patients (of the same practice) had to wait so long?

Writing was on the wall for ours when they started pushing "Invisiline" teeth straightening.

I hate going to the dentist so to keep mine is probably worth the monthly fee but does grate a bit when you get your pay slips and see where all your money has gone..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GPs do preventive check ups after the age of 40 - blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, blood sugar etc every 5 years or so. In addition, breast, bowel and cervical screening services.
We don't get preventive check ups unless we request them (my GP is in the Glasgow City Council area)
We do get the breast, bowel and cervical.
On saying that, my last cervical must have been 5 years ago, maybe at 59 I have passed the age of screening.

D

Deleted member 26715

On saying that, my last cervical must have been 5 years ago, maybe at 59 I have passed the age of screening.

Wife is 60 & she's just had her papers to come in for a check

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For completeness men also get an AAA scan at 65 - Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.

Interesting. I wonder, is this a recent innovation?, and, is it Nationwide? I certainly never had preventive check-ups from age 40, (such annual check-ups have started from age 70), and, have never had a AAA scan.
My brother-in-law in Coventry got called in for a scan and they found that he has an AAA. They were doing a follow-up scan every 6 months to keep an eye on it as it was getting worse, but then he gave up smoking and it has stabilised, so now he is only checked once a year.

I had a scan last year when I was 65.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We don't get preventive check ups unless we request them (my GP is in the Glasgow City Council area)
We do get the breast, bowel and cervical.

Mrs SD is 59 and had her cervical screen a couple of months ago (all clear).

Her GP said a few years back that they ease off the cervical screening at some stage as cervical cancer is as reare as hen's teeth (her words) after the age of 60 and at 65 the program stops altogether.

Julia9054

Guru
Mrs SD is 59 and had her cervical screen a couple of months ago (all clear).

Her GP said a few years back that they ease off the cervical screening at some stage as cervical cancer is as reare as hen's teeth (her words) after the age of 60 and at 65 the program stops altogether.

See my post above for timings in Scotland. In England it is every 3 years until 50 then every 5 years until your 65th birthday. Wales is the same schedule as Scotland

Top Bottom