The difference between chain oil and bike lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One and the same.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought some from my sister's Aldi a couple of weeks ago. It is 'wet weather' type** according to the label. It certainly seemed fairly thick and tenacious.

I was caught out in 2 horrendous thunderstorms last weekend after using the oil. The good side: the oil was not washed off by the rain. The bad side: despite having mudguards on the bike, there was a lot of grit stuck to the transmission afterwards.

I would say that it is good for wet conditions, but wipe any surplus off your chain before venturing out, and clean your transmission when you get back!

** Your store may sell the dry weather type too, but my sister's only had the wet weather type when I was there.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In the States, what gets sold as bar and chain oil is for chainsaws. Good, tenacious oil for the bike chain as well. A little too thick for a Sturmey-Archer, but quite good for the chain.

lutonloony

Über Member
Am sure this will have been asked before, so please excuse the repeat, but is silicone spray good as a chain lube, or is it the devil's work? TIA (and sorry for hijacking post)

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Maybe, maybe, that DuPont Teflon spray would be good for a chain on a bike. If you were careful, and sprayed between the links. A regular silicone would not hold up well under your somewhat aquatic conditions over there on your side of the pond, unless you were able to apply it after each ride or so. The Teflon may be an exception as it leaves a coating on the plates and pivots. WD-40 would do the same, only it dries to a sort of varnish, and washes away easily. But WD-40 is used to disperse water, not lubricate, essentially.So an oil, with some tenacity, like a bar and chain oil, or a specially formulated chain oil, is going to have the stickiness, or tenacity, to stay where it's put, and do the job. Used in conjunction with the Mickle Method.

Sandra6

Veteran
cycle oil tends to be nasty black stuff, especially the cheap stuff. Lube is usually cleaner.
Wet lube, is thicker and gloopier - great for rainy rides, but it picks up much more of the dust from the road - not so great in winter when the roads are gritted.
muc off lube is good stuff.

GuyBoden

Guru
A nostalgic trip........

As a serious teenager bike enthusiast, with little money, here's what I did to my chains in the early 1980's. Needs must.

Melt a candle in a pan, add a bit of oil, dip the cleaned chained into the pan and submerge the chain under the hot liquid. Let it cool and wipe off the excess.
(Keep the Liquid/wax solution for next time, just heat it up gain.)

Beware of smoke, pan fires or even house fires, but especially your Mum coming home early. ^_^

Many 100+mile rides were done on these chains and they seemed to last longer.

Top Bottom