The dreaded P word. To patch or not to patch that is the question?

After a punture do you.

• Patch it

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Throw it

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Picked up my new Fuji Track a week ago from Evans although not had a chance to ride it on the track yet. Two days after delivery the back tyre was flat. Evans have been great and just given me a replacement inner tube.

I would presume most people carry a spare when MTB riding or road riding, but what do you do with the punctured inner when you get home.

Patch it or throw it?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I never repair them, but I do keep them for wrapping around the frame when I put something like a bag or lights on the bike.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Patch it! Throwing the tube away is a bit wasteful if it can be fixed. Must admit that I find it difficult to trust the repaired tube 'til it's done a good hundred miles without going down again though!

Having the right patches makes all the difference too... I tried to fix a flat with some horrible big thick square-edged halfords patches the other day and gave up after two failed attempts. Never had this problem with other repair kits.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Proper patches and glue, don't trust these ready glued ones, I wait till i have a few to mend then do them all together.^_^
Have had a Park Tools patched tube in my commuting road bike for over 2 years now. Applied properly they are just as good as normal patches and glue.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Always repair, up to 3 or 4 patches per tube (don't know why - no reason why not more), use Rema Tip Top patches, but like others would prefer virgin tubes on a track bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
After many a year of successfully patching tubes, some ten years ago I had a rash of patch failures. So now I chuck the tube and fit a new one, every time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a theory that people with deep rim wheels are less likely to patch than those without. The reason for this is that I often see abandoned inner tubes by the road. Sometimes, in a fit of public spiritedness I pick them up. Gets rid if a bit of litter, removes a possible bad image for cyclists, and may even prove useful - I could patch it. However they always seem to have valve stems almost as long as the radius of a wheel.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I patch when necessary as I cannot afford to replace a tube for one little hole each time. Once there is 4 or 5 patches on there, the tube is binned or used for another purpose (garden ties on my little trees is a use that comes to mind)

Top Bottom