The dreaded P word. To patch or not to patch that is the question?

After a punture do you.

• Patch it

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Throw it

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Or the third option...

Do you mean to patch it, but having put a new tube on in the meantime, you never get round to it!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Or the third option...

Do you mean to patch it, but having put a new tube on in the meantime, you never get round to it!
Yeah, I've got a few of those. :blush:

Mind you, I don't bother changing the tube now I've started using the glueless patches. So much easier to repair on the spot now than faff around later.

outlash

also available in orange
Depends. For road tyre tubes I'll replace as I haven't had much success with patches for tubes that'll go up to 100psi but for the cross bike and Genesis that has lower pressure tubes (up to 70psi) I'll patch them three or four times before replacing.

Katherine

Guru
Or the third option...

I have one from March 2014, on the Sport's Relief 50 mile cycle, when I was so cold I was glad that the mechanic was able to change it for me and one from the 2014 Great Manchester Cycle on the first lap when the mechanics were busy but the police motorbikers helped me.

:girl:

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I'm watching this thread with interest.

In my 'yoof' I'd always patch unless the tube ripped and never noticed a difference. Now I'm mechanically more sympathetic, but fiscally more flush and now have a bike with 25c tyres, it's not something I'd thought of - Call me bone idle, but given the 'organized' nature of my rides, I just thought I'd call the ball-and-chain and get her to pick me up if it happened, which it hasn't in the last two years.

Clearly, karma will bite my dogma sooner, rather than later, so when I go to the LBS tomorrow to pick up any number of things I should have, puncture repair will be further up the list for discussion! FWIW, I never liked the pink, square edged patches and always liked those ones that tapered smoothly into the tube. They all needed glue though, so what's changed? #80schild

Russell

Keith Oates

Janner
I repair tubes when I get home and not on the road, but after several patches I scrap the tube as I don't feel confident in putting it onto a wheel. However I do take the tubes home for disposal and not leave them on the roadside, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
I normally pick up a couple of spare tubes whenever I'm browsing in Decathlon - at £2.50 a pair I find it hard to resist. Although I now have a stockpile of brand new tubes, and use it to replenish my tool-bag each time I puncture,
I also patch the failed tube as soon as I get home and store it, with several others, in a biscuit tin.

It's the same tin that contains several brake-block carriers from where it's been been cheaper to buy a new block and carrier than just to replace the rubber inserts. I have a feeling that none of these things will ever find their way back onto a bike.

Tynan

Veteran
I'll patch until it gets silly, routinely done 10+ before replacing, why not? usually stop when it's a split

bigjim

Legendary Member
I get a lot of punctures. Different bikes, wheels, tyres. No pattern, though I ride a lot in an unrban area so it's usually glass. Plus I'm over 14 stone. I've had 6 or 7 this year. More to come I suppose. I usually patch them on the road unless I'm out with the club. I use the old glue and patch method, though I have used the instant ones with no problems. LBS mechanic advises patch and fit straight back in tyre as pressure against tyre helps keep patch bonded as tube expands. Doing it at home and pumping up tends to encourage patch to come adrift due to tube expansion and patch not able to expand so more chance of unsticking. I tend to agree, as my home patched ones not always successful if pumped up too much.

Top Bottom