The dreaded P

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LewisLondon

I previously asked on here about moving to tubeless tyres after 3 punctures in a week with no obvious cause, and got mixed reviews. So on the back of that, I stuck with clinchers.

To try and avoid punctures, i replaced the rim tape, got a brand new tube, and also replaxed the tyre.

Lo and behold, 2 weeks later, another puncture.

I haven't even taken the tyre off to replace it, I was so annoyed I just walked home. When I do get around to it, any idea at all what i should be looking for beyond anything sharp in the tyre? Any tips or tricks? I didn't even use tyre levers to put the tyre on this time to try and avoid a pinch flat.

I'm at my wits end here. Luckily 2 of the 4 were on my pootle back to my house so not far to go, but I'm losing faith in the wheel. Could it be that?!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What tyre make is it? Also, if your punctures happen in the same area, go for a walk and study the area for glass, nails etc.....It could be that?

booze and cake

probably out cycling
What tyres are they? I see you are in London, where the streets are paved with broken glass! If it is a stock off the shelf bike they usually come with rubbish tyres so it may just be the type of tyre you have does'nt offer any/enough puncture protection.

Now you are home I'd check the tubes you have that have already punctured, pump some air in them and get them in the sink full of water. Are the punctures happening in the same pace on each tube? If so that hints there is still something embedded in the tyre, or the rim tape at that section is maybe chaffed and causing the flats, or maybe there is a dink/nick in the rims at that point that has a sharp bit that is causing the flats maybe.

I'd do that first, if they are not in the same place and all seems well you may just have been unlucky.
haha edit, beaten to it by those above

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

All, thank you so much for all of the responses! On my phone so can't respond properly. Will play around tomo
Afternoon to look at these tubes, and see where the punctures are, and will reply properly then.

Thanks again!

delb0y

Legendary Member
I had a Shimano wheel that was just bad. Every time I went out I was getting punctures. Replaced the rim tape with extra thick tape, went round the wheel inside and out numerous times and couldn't find any sharp bits. Checked the spokes. Used new tubes and tyres. Puncture after puncture. Almost all were on the inside (suggesting it was the spokes or something inside), often in the same position. Just couldn't figure it. Reverted to the original wheel(*) a few years ago - no punctures. Earlier this year I thought I'd give the Shimano wheel another go. Did all the above checks one more time and went out... four punctures in 30 miles. Let a few other people have a look to see if I was missing something. No-one could find anything. Binned the wheel and bought another. No punctures so far (I touched wood). Sometimes you just get an evil wheel, is the only explanation. Kind of like a budget version of Stephen King's Christine.

(*) I have a Tricross and had invested in a set Shimano wheels so I could have both a road tyre and a more off-road option

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a Shimano wheel that was just bad. Every time I went out I was getting punctures. Replaced the rim tape with extra thick tape, went round the wheel inside and out numerous times and couldn't find any sharp bits. Checked the spokes. Used new tubes and tyres. Puncture after puncture. Almost all were on the inside (suggesting it was the spokes or something inside), often in the same position. Just couldn't figure it. Reverted to the original wheel(*) a few years ago - no punctures. Earlier this year I thought I'd give the Shimano wheel another go. Did all the above checks one more time and went out... four punctures in 30 miles. Let a few other people have a look to see if I was missing something. No-one could find anything. Binned the wheel and bought another. No punctures so far (I touched wood). Sometimes you just get an evil wheel, is the only explanation. Kind of like a budget version of Stephen King's Christine.

(*) I have a Tricross and had invested in a set Shimano wheels so I could have both a road tyre and a more off-road option
I've got a Shimano wheel like that, I think it's due to the mahoosive holes that allow access to the spoke nipples but TBH by the time I've realised and stopped there are a bunch of 'snakebite' punctures in the tube so it's hard to tell which was the first one.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are pretty effective if you're staying with clinchers, use their inner tubes as well. Be warned that they are frequently a wrestling match to get on and off and you will learn some new swear-words... if you're running carbon rims then get the Campagnolo tyre spoon rather than attacking them with metal levers, if you're using any normal rim then use metal levers... Brompton put a good set in their toolkit....

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

What tyre make is it? Also, if your punctures happen in the same area, go for a walk and study the area for glass, nails etc.....It could be that?

It's continental GP 4000s II. I know they're not crazy puncture proof but this seems remarkably quick. Not in the same place :sad:

Are the punctures always in the same place on the tube? Are your tyres thin and weedy? Are you running very low pressures?

Just some random questions, the answers to which may lead somewhere. Or perhaps not ...

So i've checked the two previous tubes (pre tyre replacement) and they were indeed in the same place, on top of the tube. So i'm guessing something must have been in the tyre. This one tough (with the new tyre and rim tape) isn't in the same place annoyingly. Pictures to follow on next post

What tyres are they? I see you are in London, where the streets are paved with broken glass! If it is a stock off the shelf bike they usually come with rubbish tyres so it may just be the type of tyre you have does'nt offer any/enough puncture protection.

Now you are home I'd check the tubes you have that have already punctured, pump some air in them and get them in the sink full of water. Are the punctures happening in the same pace on each tube? If so that hints there is still something embedded in the tyre, or the rim tape at that section is maybe chaffed and causing the flats, or maybe there is a dink/nick in the rims at that point that has a sharp bit that is causing the flats maybe.

I'd do that first, if they are not in the same place and all seems well you may just have been unlucky.
haha edit, beaten to it by those above

As above. The latest puncture is in a different place. Think maybe I'm unlucky? It's kind of on the side (pictures to follow). Think that it could by anything to do with the rim/tape/spokes?

Punctures happen. It might be months before your next one, it might be hours. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Best way to avoid punctures is fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but they might feel slower than your current tyres - that's the trade-off.

Unfortunately given i also race (badly), got to go with semi quick tyres so I accept this will happen occasionaly, just questioning it happening so much!

I'm starting to wonder if it is this :s I hope not, but I guess if it happens again in next couple of weeks, I should probably contact the wheel manufacturer!

It will be the replaxing of the tyre that's the problem, that replaxing is a black art

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong! haha.

Any obvious things I may be missing when putting a new tyre in?

I've got a Shimano wheel like that, I think it's due to the mahoosive holes that allow access to the spoke nipples but TBH by the time I've realised and stopped there are a bunch of 'snakebite' punctures in the tube so it's hard to tell which was the first one.

Only one whole on each of these tubes

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are pretty effective if you're staying with clinchers, use their inner tubes as well. Be warned that they are frequently a wrestling match to get on and off and you will learn some new swear-words... if you're running carbon rims then get the Campagnolo tyre spoon rather than attacking them with metal levers, if you're using any normal rim then use metal levers... Brompton put a good set in their toolkit....

Pity they're not quick :sad: I guess it does come down to if I put on a quicker tyre I can't moan, this just seemed much much too quick, especially after so many other punctures previously!

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Let me know if you can't see. First picture is showing the tiny hole, expanded as much as I can. Assume this looks normal? Anyone tell me what I would be looking for if it's a pinch puncture from low air pressure, or if this looks more like a standard (something in tyre) puncture?
P1.jpg
Second picture shows it next to my thumb, for reference. Can't expect to get much from this, but on the off chance! P2.jpg The final picture shows the hole (right next to my thumb). I assume being where it is discounts any spoke/rim issues? P3.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Let me know if you can't see. First picture is showing the tiny hole, expanded as much as I can. Assume this looks normal? Anyone tell me what I would be looking for if it's a pinch puncture from low air pressure, or if this looks more like a standard (something in tyre) puncture?
View attachment 367574
Second picture shows it next to my thumb, for reference. Can't expect to get much from this, but on the off chance! View attachment 367575 The final picture shows the hole (right next to my thumb). I assume being where it is discounts any spoke/rim issues? View attachment 367576
Yep, that's come through the tyre, the only cure is thicker (heavier) puncture resistant tyres.

Jason

rim tape - get some electrical tape and tape over the rim tape. then inspect tyres and inner tube. was having the same issue and it was one of the spoke nuts/nipples on the inside of the rim, rubbing and eventually piercing the inner tube

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
This looks like a normal external source puncture but don't always expect to find a cause, especially if glass. Apart from that it's all been said and you take your chances with a trade off. If installed correctly, which it seems you are doing, run at pressures high enough to avoid pinch punctures and road awareness of debris and potholes, then it's down to luck.

I don't know if its possible to train/commute on a different set of wheels or different bike, but that's what I used to do. Big old M+ most of the time, never punctured in thousands of miles. Then a different bike for social/weekend rides with light slicks, they feel extra fast after riding M+ all week. Only thing I'd add is practice at home removing and fitting the M+ to make sure you can do it at roadside just in case. Until I'd got the technique right I dreaded the thought of them ever puncturing.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Unfortunately given i also race (badly), got to go with semi quick tyres so I accept this will happen occasionaly, just questioning it happening so much!

[On marathon pluses] Pity they're not quick :sad: I guess it does come down to if I put on a quicker tyre I can't moan, this just seemed much much too quick, especially after so many other punctures previously!

There are alternatives to the marathon plus. I run Durano pluses on my Caad - they're much quicker and lighter than M+ but are resistant to puncturing. Michelin's Pro 4 Endurance also have a good reputation (though I've never used them, so can't say for sure).

Top Bottom