The dreaded P

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Looks like a stab from a thorn to me..
Pyracantha type bush cuttings..if your unlucky to find them on your commute or ride then its hiss time im afraid..horrible bloody bushes

gbb

Legendary Member
It may be worth considering road positioning if you're suffering a rash of punctures, too close in and that's where much of the detritus collects. I always aim to ride maybe a minimum of 40cm to a metre out from the kerb...and conditions allowing to ride in a much stronger zone where car wheels have already cleared much of the detritus anyway .

You may already do that anyway :okay:

And....perhaps accept that you will get punctures occasionally, sometimes annoyingly close together. While I don't ride as much as I used to, I'd maybe get 3 punctures a year....i think I've had 2 in the last 2 years.?much of that isn't commuting but even so, road positioning is always in my mind.
Or, buy solid tyres or a far more puncture resistant tyres...but accept at the same time performance will / may not be the same.

Flyboy

Go tubeless , I have on my fattie , so glad I did , as I would of had around 20 punctures over the last 3 months or so.

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Just to chexk I'm not being stupid, there is no such thing as too much pressure for 25's is there? Running at 120 would be better than less wouldn't it?

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

To explain more about the above, 50km in this morning and anooooother puncture. Fml.

Starting to think it's just a bad set of wheels? (Even though they aren't spoke side, the fact everything else has changed and i'm still regularly puncturing makes me really doubt them!!)

The hole today is much slower - looks like a similarish place to the last one (but i had taken the tyre off, turned and wiped down inside out, so odds are i couldnt have out tyre back in same place!!)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To explain more about the above, 50km in this morning and anooooother puncture. Fml.

Starting to think it's just a bad set of wheels? (Even though they aren't spoke side, the fact everything else has changed and i'm still regularly puncturing makes me really doubt them!!)

The hole today is much slower - looks like a similarish place to the last one (but i had taken the tyre off, turned and wiped down inside out, so odds are i couldnt have out tyre back in same place!!)
Is there something embedded in the tyre?

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

You could try swapping the tyres between front and rear.

If you start getting punctures on the other wheel then it's something embedded in the tyre.

Graham
Sounds like a plan!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GP 4000's are a performance tyre. If you want something more puncture proof without losing the speed too much, Durano Plus are good. They were the only tyre that didn't get shredded on a cycle path I used for 3 miles of my 12 mile commute - the glass would cut through most other tyres.

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

GP 4000's are a performance tyre. If you want something more puncture proof without losing the speed too much, Durano Plus are good. They were the only tyre that didn't get shredded on a cycle path I used for 3 miles of my 12 mile commute - the glass would cut through most other tyres.

I do get that, but even with a performance tyre surely more than a week of use is expected...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just changed the pair I had on the commuter/tourer after just over a year and a half cycling. So over 8000 miles. The rear was showng blue but I think I could have got a few more months mileage out if them easy. And in all that time. Only 2 punctures. Not bad for the mean streets of SE Lobdon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just changed the pair I had on the commuter/tourer after just over a year and a half cycling. So over 8000 miles. The rear was showng blue but I think I could have got a few more months mileage out if them easy. And in all that time. Only 2 punctures. Not bad for the mean streets of SE Lobdon.

I changed mine when the blue came through - not easy to see when on the rear covered by mudguards !

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I do get that, but even with a performance tyre surely more than a week of use is expected...

I think I've sussed the problem here Lewis, too much respect, you should have used the word puncture in your thread title and not shown fear by using only P and giving it the accolade of dreaded. Superstitions will bring you down every time!!!

Top Bottom