The Drivers' Survival Guide: Dealing with fog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
I think you missed out the most important advice for driving in fog - always drive as fast as possible to avoid people crashing into the back of you, and make sure you leave your fog lights on all day, so that less skilled drivers know to get out of your way.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not forgetting always park in the middle of the road so you can follow the white line to find your car again

oldwheels

Legendary Member
And please, PLEASE, turn your fog lights off when fog has gone or you're clear of it!!!

Your car does not look, "cool", for having them on, they are an extreme annoyance and a hazard on wet nights!
Fog lights are illegal if there is no fog. Friend of mine got a fixed penalty at 0230 for using them to spot deer on the roadside on single track roads.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're only designed to illuminate the road surface so in heavy fog you don't drive off it into a ditch - if it's bad enough to genuinely need the front fogs on then the driver should be crawling along at the most. They're of zero use during the day, or for anything other than driving in fog.

steverob

Guru
2. Red traffic lights: look, let's get one thing clear. Red usually signals, danger, stop, caution. But not if hold a valid driving license. In that case it means just go on right ahead. Typically you can have between 5-10 seconds leeway after the lights have gone red. Yellow/amber means proceed just above the speed limit if possible otherwise slightly below is acceptable. Under no circumstances should you stop, as this will cause a massive inconvenience to other road users. BTW green lights mean the speed limit has been temporarily increased twofold. This is ensure your engine gets sufficiently warmed up thus increasing efficiency and helping with global warming.
There's actually a special addition to this rule if you're driving in the Home Counties.

If you notice traffic lights turning to amber but are still over 100 yards away from them (so never going to reach them before they would turn red under normal circumstances), it is imperative that you actually speed up by at least 20mph, because a special function in the lights will then be able to sense your level of self-importance and will ensure that they give you more time before they change than usual. Despite persistent rumours, I can categorically state that under no circumstances will the lights still change at the timings that they always have since they day they were first installed, causing you to have to brake suddenly from 70mph with only 5 yards to go before the line - that's never going to happen obviously!

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
And please, PLEASE, turn your fog lights off when fog has gone or you're clear of it!!!

Your car does not look, "cool", for having them on, they are an extreme annoyance and a hazard on wet nights!
And if you're driving in light fog / mist and you can see car rear lights 1/4 mile or more ahead of you, way way beyond normal braking distance....you don't really need your fog lights on :okay:. The driver behind you can see you from that distance too.

DRM

Guru
As soon as the fog clears turn on both front and rear fog lights so other road users know that you bravely drove in a bit of mist, leave them on all week for maximum effect

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A general driving gripe of mine, and not restricted to foggy conditions, is the numpties who sit in a queue of traffic with a foot on the brake. It's a disease now with a sea of cars at every junction driven by people seemingly unable to recall how the handbrake functions.

I have to hold my hand up in front of my eyes to avoid the dazzle from some extremely bright brake lights.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
A general driving gripe of mine, and not restricted to foggy conditions, is the numpties who sit in a queue of traffic with a foot on the brake. It's a disease now with a sea of cars at every junction driven by people seemingly unable to recall how the handbrake functions.

I have to hold my hand up in front of my eyes to avoid the dazzle from some extremely bright brake lights.

Usually the same fools that sit as close as they can to the vehicle in front of them. They're constantly tapping the brakes rather than staying back and easing off the loud pedal now and again...

Top Bottom