The Drivers' Survival Guide: Dealing with fog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then don’t hold it in front of your eyes, 🙃
What a silly boy!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's actually a special addition to this rule if you're driving in the Home Counties.

If you notice traffic lights turning to amber but are still over 100 yards away from them (so never going to reach them before they would turn red under normal circumstances), it is imperative that you actually speed up by at least 20mph, because a special function in the lights will then be able to sense your level of self-importance and will ensure that they give you more time before they change than usual. Despite persistent rumours, I can categorically state that under no circumstances will the lights still change at the timings that they always have since they day they were first installed, causing you to have to brake suddenly from 70mph with only 5 yards to go before the line - that's never going to happen obviously!

I've recounted this before but it's good fun so I'll repost. A mate of mine saw a "business man" type in a Jag or BMW push through after the stop/go lollipop man had turned the sign to "stop". He shouted to one of the labourers in the tarmac gang who smacked the car hard on the bonnet with his shovel. The driver at least had the sense not to try and debate the matter, since the guy with the shovel clearly didn't give-a-f and a smack on the head might have been next. There may have been a "class war" aspect to all this but my mate said it was just about the funniest thing he'd ever seen

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A general driving gripe of mine, and not restricted to foggy conditions, is the numpties who sit in a queue of traffic with a foot on the brake. It's a disease now with a sea of cars at every junction driven by people seemingly unable to recall how the handbrake functions.

I have to hold my hand up in front of my eyes to avoid the dazzle from some extremely bright brake lights.

That's how people are taught to drive, has been the case for some time now.

I remember giving a friend's daughter a lift a few years ago, and she couldn't get over the fact that I put the handbrake on when stopped at a red light.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Seriously?

That goes against the HC:

Rule 114
You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Law RVLR reg 27

GoldenLamprey

I remember giving a friend's daughter a lift a few years ago, and she couldn't get over the fact that I put the handbrake on when stopped at a red light.
What's the reason, if true?

DRM

Guru
Don't forget baby onboard sticker in rear window. this gives you the right to do what ever you like while your in your motor.
Saw a sticker on the back of a car in Newcastle, Warning-Adults on board......and we’re not too keen on being crashed into either!

DRM

Guru
Latest fog tip, A64, single carriageway bits between York & Malton, at least 1000 to 1200 yards vision, slow down to 38 mph to cause a huge queue behind when it’s national speed limit.

BN: Truly horrendous 4h rush-hour round-trip in freezing foggy W.Berkshire on Monday. Would have been hard work in those conditions without cars, but with them it was often awful :sad:
GN: Coming home from the shop last week, in a dark pea-souper, I saw one driver on our estate (streetlights) using front fogs+side_lights. Perfect!
Shame no-one else thinks to do this.

I agree with you and used to do the same. Nothing worse than staring at someone’s brake lights in a queue but...

Now If I put my handbrake on and release my foot brake, it defeats the stop-start system and the engine continues to run...

Go figure

byegad

Legendary Member
Driving at 5mph, with visibility of 250m? Turn on all your lights, hold the steering wheel in a death grip and lean forward with your back a foot clear of the seat back.
Everyone will admire your skills as you slam the brake on at the slightest curve, and toot their admiration.

Top Bottom