'The End Of CycleChat As We Know It' forum ride (Hebden Bridge, 20th Nov)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Colin,

I would like to join your intrepid group for the forum ride tomorrow.

By way of introduction I'm a regular reader of the forum which I enjoy very much and an occasional but infrequent poster. I live in Littleborough which might seem strange when you hear my westcountry accent as I come from Devon originally. At 57 years old I might be the old codger of the group and I'm a bit of a plodder up the hills, but a determined plodder nonetheless. A couple of weeks ago I did a 44 mile circular route with a former work colleague from Whalley taking in Barley, Downham and Waddington Fell. Whilst my super fit friend reached the layby at the top of Waddington Fell at least 3 or 4 minutes before me I managed to stick at it and get to the top. So this has given me a little reassurance to tackle your more hillier ride.

If you wonder who this strange bloke is in the car park I ride a black Revolution tourer.

Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow at 9.45 am in Hebden Bridge.

Cheers for now.

Brian

colly

Re member eR
I might be the old codger of the group

Excuse me. That position is already filled. :biggrin:

Alun

Guru
Hi Colin,

(Text cut)

Cheers for now.

Brian
Don't forget some money for the parking meter, or the wardens will pounce on you, even on a Sunday!
Not sure exactly how much you'll need as it's gone up recently, but £4 will cover it.

Alun

Guru
I won't be joining you either I'm afraid, as expected I am starting my working week on Sunday night.
Oh well, just have to potter about the nice flat TPT instead :tongue:

ps- Ordered my CX bike today, it comes with a 30t 30t low gear, ideal for next years SITD :thumbsup:

What bike did you get?

potsy

Rambler
What bike did you get?

Tricross Elite.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay folks, the latest forecasts say that it could be a foggy start so what would have been great views and some rapid descents might be something else altogether!

It's definitely going to be a good idea to have lights. Most of the roads are quiet, but if visibility is poor early on, we should at least give any motorists a chance to spot us!

Hi. Im up for this. Weather pending

Though I'll be cycling over from Manchester. It's only a few hours going slow and it's flat via Todmorden if anyone is up for it and it's OK with Colin
You're welcome!

Hi Colin,

By way of introduction I'm a regular reader of the forum which I enjoy very much and an occasional but infrequent poster. I live in Littleborough which might seem strange when you hear my westcountry accent as I come from Devon originally. At 57 years old I might be the old codger of the group and I'm a bit of a plodder up the hills, but a determined plodder nonetheless. A couple of weeks ago I did a 44 mile circular route with a former work colleague from Whalley taking in Barley, Downham and Waddington Fell. Whilst my super fit friend reached the layby at the top of Waddington Fell at least 3 or 4 minutes before me I managed to stick at it and get to the top. So this has given me a little reassurance to tackle your more hillier ride.

If you wonder who this strange bloke is in the car park I ride a black Revolution tourer.

Cheers for now.

Brian
You're welcome too Brian. Less of the old codger thing though - I'm 56 in January and colly is older than me! ;) We've had several riders well into their 60s turn out in the past and they have been fitter than many of the younger riders.

If you coped with Waddington Fell etc. then you should be okay tomorrow.

Unless you really want my phone number, I won't bother handing it out. (Its memory is getting filled up with CycleChatter's numbers and 99% of them have never needed to phone me, nor me them.) Just make an effort to get to Hebden Bridge on time. We'll meet at 09:45 and aim to leave at 10:00 so there is a 15 minute margin. If we are expecting you and you don't turn up we'd wait a few more minutes, but we definitely won't still be there at 10:15! (If you arrive after we have gone, just set off after us and you should be able to catch us. It might be an idea to sketch/print a map of the route if you think there is any chance of you arriving late.)

I think this is where we currently stand:

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Steve H
  • I like Skol
  • colly
  • YahudaMoon
  • Littgull
Possible riders:
  • oldfatfool (yes, if the weather is acceptable)
  • potsy (working)
  • YellowTim (???)
Any decision yet, YellowTim?

colly

Re member eR
YELLOW TIM !

I missed him posting he might be along.

TIM................if you want a lift be at Oakwood Clock at 8.30 in the morning. I'll be setting off with plenty of time to spare (can't abide rushing)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
YELLOW TIM !

I missed him posting he might be along.

TIM................if you want a lift be at Oakwood Clock at 8.30 in the morning. I'll be setting off with plenty of time to spare (can't abide rushing)
Ha - I've just spotted mention of Tim riding over Fleet Moss on SS or fixed. If he can manage that, then nothing on tomorrow's ride should trouble him too much!

I'll PM him in case he has forgotten about this thread.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Anyone cycling over from Manchester ? only 2 hrs going slow via Oldham, Hollingworth Lake & Todmormden and mostly flat all the way.

Fleet Moss on fixed
wacko.gif

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Thats a massive gear on fixed up fleet moss. Ive been up their 3 times this year and twice Ive got off and walked.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anyone cycling over from Manchester ? only 2 hrs going slow via Oldham, Hollingworth Lake & Todmormden and mostly flat all the way.

Fleet Moss on fixed
wacko.gif

Yes, Me. Not sure on start time yet but leaving Ashton, then main roads to Oldham, Shaw, Milnrow then, as you say, Hollingworth lake, Todmorden etc...

25 miles from Ashton so I reckon 2 hrs will be more than enough at a leisurely 12mph. I also fancy trying the cafe mentioned for a bacon sarnie and a coffee before the ride commences so leave Ashton at 7.15 with time to spare. If you are coming via Ashton we can meet by Ikea/Aldi at 7.15ish or 15-20 minutes later up at Oldham/Halfords.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hmmm... There's a surprise. Just plotted the route into Mapometer to double check the distance and see what the gradient would be like. I was expecting a steady slow climb from Ashton pretty much all the way to Hebden Bridge with the occasional bump along the way but as it turns out the two towns are pretty much at the same height with Oldham and Summit above littleborough being the highspots with similar altitudes and neither are mountainous and hold no fear for me (would never think twice about nipping to Oldham). Maybe allowing 2 hrs to cover the 22-23 miles is being a bit generous, could easily get away with leaving Ashton at 7.30.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Sounds good to me I'll meet you at Ashton at 7.30. Im not very good with Ashton though I know where the Cannons are outside the old town hall facing the market (If its still there ?)

Is outside the town hall near the cannons OK :smile:

Top Bottom