The end of my quiet spell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
indicate or no, mag's road position must have made it clear he was turning

661-Pete said:
Had a few of those (but no camera to illustrate) - not too often luckily. Notwithstanding the verbal altercation about hand signals, one of my theories is that some motorists no longer recognise hand signals - since they took them out of the driving test (wasn't so in my day: when I took my test I had to give hand signals). Does anyone agree?

And 'creeping' forward at a junction, into the path of someone who has right of way - even if the offender doesn't intend to go so far out as to hit them - well I call that intimidation, I do. I've had a lot of that as well - often at roundabouts. I call that 'driving without due care and consideration', that's what I call it, and the police ought to take notice at least.

Some hope.:biggrin:

Bongman said:
Although I agree with you, Isn't the offence "Driving without due care and attention"?
Ah, I think you may have got me there, I left a few words out :biggrin:: the precise wording of the Act appears to be "[driving]....without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road".

Shows how little of my life has been spent having to confront the exact wording of motoring laws...xx(

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Might the driver's view that you weren't indicating be due to him not looking at you when you were indicating, and by the time he was looking at you, you'd put your hand back on the bars to make the turn?
Agree that your road positioning was showing your intentions clearly though. Hopefully he'll be a bit more circumspect in future.

Hard to tell isn't it.You can't actually assume the driver saw you for whatever reason.

I doub't whether he did it deliberately.Another reason may be impatience which is common.Ooops contradicted myseltf there.

What I mean as it probably wasn't done with an intention of malice.

Anyway whenever I do any sort of move like that im aware it may go tits up.

Ian Johnson

I assume the driver did actually see you as he said you didnt signal with your hand ,so he was aware that you where there .
I did the manchester to Blackpool charity ride yesterday and even got agrro on that .
A sliver BMW honked at me 'cause I was in the way ,he really could not go anywhere because of the cyclists ahead and other cars that were only going at the cyclist pace,so I stayed where I was and even slowed a little ,I noticed he was getting very close and riding close to my back wheel ,it then made contact and sent me into a bit of a wobble,good job I was only going slow at this point. I saw red and lost my cool,I got off the bike promptly droped it infront of his car and then banged on his bonnet hard with my fist,I then went up to his window and shouted raging ' are you trying to f****g kill me,he replied shouting in a rage 'You should be more careful', ditto back from me,he then drove off but recieved another hard bang with my fist to the back panel as he drove off. I hope I dented it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Disappointing thread. Where is the caterwauling and Magnatom bashing?

If Magnaton had let the car out, the close call would have been avoided!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

;)

Funnily enough I kind of miss the magnatom bashing. Where is Mr Hippo when you need him!?:biggrin:

D4VOW

Landslide said:
Might the driver's view that you weren't indicating be due to him not looking at you when you were indicating, and by the time he was looking at you, you'd put your hand back on the bars to make the turn?
Agree that your road positioning was showing your intentions clearly though. Hopefully he'll be a bit more circumspect in future.

This is what I think. The traffic would have been obstructing his view for the majority of the time you were signaling, if he'd been looking the other way in the short time he could have seen you signaling then he would never have noticed it. Still doesn't make it right that he began to exit the junction before it was clear though. It is something most of us do in heavy traffic though, otherwise you would hardly ever be able to turn right at a congested junction.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
You are getting better though Mag, good speed and line off the roundabout and overall good observation.:laugh:;):evil:

Thud. Magnatom hits the floor. It takes him a good few minutes to come around from the shock...:wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tynan said:
indicate or no, mag's road position must have made it clear he was turning

And to be precise if he had seen him - then he shouldn't have been pulling out - whether he knew what he was doing or not.

D4VOW said:
This is what I think. The traffic would have been obstructing his view for the majority of the time you were signaling, if he'd been looking the other way in the short time he could have seen you signaling then he would never have noticed it. Still doesn't make it right that he began to exit the junction before it was clear though. It is something most of us do in heavy traffic though, otherwise you would hardly ever be able to turn right at a congested junction.

I think the bus/coach must obscure his view for some of the time that you may have been signalling. However he must be able to work that out for himself so should have given another look that direction before pulling out and then would have seen you. (Hopefully assuming he wasn't blind:biggrin:).

Landslide

Rare Migrant
summerdays said:
I think the bus/coach must obscure his view for some of the time that you may have been signalling. However he must be able to work that out for himself so should have given another look that direction before pulling out and then would have seen you. (Hopefully assuming he wasn't blind:biggrin:).

Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups!;)
If I'm sat behind a bus or truck, I'm always concious of my limited visibility, and ride that little bit more cautiously...

Regardless of whether Magnatom was turning or not, if it'd been me Id've been pissed at a motorist for pulling out, even if I had been carrying on along the road. They wouldn't do it to a car, so why should it be OK to do it to a bicycle?
The gap between your initial yell and his astonishingly incisive and well-thought-out shout to me perfectly demonstrates the fact that he hadn't seen you, was busy thinking 'shtye that wus close!' and only then decided he had to save face in front of his passengers, one of whom had probably said to him "But he didnae signal!".
Situations like this one make you wish you had a basket of over-ripe tomatoes on your handlebars!

Top Bottom