The end of the mountain bike boom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I was leaving my bike at the bikestands in the park today when I noticed there wasn't a single mountain bike there. There were two Pashleys, a few Raleigh women's bikes, a few road bikes, a BMX and some far eastern hub-geared models. Has anybody else noticed this?

col

Legendary Member
Now you mention it, Iv only seen more fully kitted out roadies than usual lately. Only one mountain bike, and that was a guy that looked like he was going home from work?

Blue Steel

Funny you should mention it, but yes I've been thinking the same thing. I see more and more people about on a variety of different kind of bikes. whereas in the past it seems mountain bikes where pretty much the default choice for most people.

I think with cycling enjoying something of a renaissance in the UK at the moment, the mountain bike boom has peaked as people discover other types of bikes that are more suitable for their particular needs.

HovR

Über Member
A quick look at the bike racks in town show that mountain bikes are still pretty popular over here.. Not that any of them have ever been anywhere near a mountain. :rolleyes:

Norm

I'd say it's the end of useless suspension and the off-road accessories.

Much of the design is still there in the modern bikes but peeps are catching on that suspension for the road is not necessary so they are still getting similar design but with a rigid frame and forks and smoother tyres.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is probably due to the bikes on offer. For a long time there was a wide spread of quality/price MTB's while road bikes were considered a big ticket item of high value but the explosion in the hybrid ranges and the previously hinted renaissance in cycling has meant that manufacturers are supplying a much more sensibly priced range of flat bar and drop bar road bikes.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have mixed feelings. I do sing the praises about roadster type bikes but in reality, older steel framed MTBs, kitted out with puncture resistant slick tyres, mudguards, dynamo lights and a decent rack are probably the ultimate practical bike and came fitted as standard with a gear range wide enough to cover the needs of about 99.9% of the worlds cyclists.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Also keep in mind that more people fall into the N+1 category, they will have their mountian bikes for off-roading, their road bike for road riding, their beach cruiser for cruising beaches, their hybrid for...em..whatever ye use those for etc...

Where a few years ago people would have opted for MTB's as a default. They just now have multiple bikes.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think there was a perception among the great unwashed that any bike supposedly designed to be ridden up a mountain would go like stink on level roads with little effort required from the rider.
It was just common sense!:whistle:

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
I think there was a perception among the great unwashed that any bike supposedly designed to be ridden up a mountain would go like stink on level roads with little effort required from the rider.
It was just common sense!:whistle:

Then there was that rule about wearing Freddy Mercury shorts on road bikes...

Linford

Entry level MTB's were always a bridge bike between people who don't commute and want to look the part whilst not actually going to the bother of getting sized for one or spending the money and getting something they really want to ride. It doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off.

Speedywheelsjeans

I think people are realising that mountain bikes are for mountains and single track and tend not to use them commuting, I know loads of people buying mountain bikes, but the boom seems to have hit the downhill sector with guys like danny hart promoting the british scene. People seem to have bikes for specific purposes and spend decent money on them, whereas before it seemed any old halfords crap would do, which is why we dont see too many MTBs locked up around the place as people use them where they are supposed to be used.

headcoat

Über Member
I saw a group of about 6/8 cyclists on the prom near me yesterday, all on 'old' style bikes a couple had wicker baskets on them and the men were dressed in jackets. Seemed to be some 'olde worlde' cycling club. Anyone know anything about them, it was on the Wirral.

tyred

Legendary Member
I saw a group of about 6/8 cyclists on the prom near me yesterday, all on 'old' style bikes a couple had wicker baskets on them and the men were dressed in jackets. Seemed to be some 'olde worlde' cycling club. Anyone know anything about them, it was on the Wirral.

Possibly the V-CC.

Top Bottom