The end of Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
What -already? Still getting used to it, still lamenting the demise of XP. To be replaced by what? Something even more intrusive and with even less options to use non Microsoft software I imagine.

I have been thinking about going down the Linux route. Has anyone on here got experience of it?

Depends what you use your Windows box for. If you need programs which need a native Windows system (e.g. iTunes), Linix won't help....not out of the box anyway...

What you can do is download a piece of software called VirtualBox from Oracle and then install a Linux system on VirtualBox. It basically runs a Linux machine on your Windows system, without you making a hard commitment and overwriting your Windows system (or dual-booting, as has been suggested). If you trash the system, you just remove VirtualBox and you're no worse off.

If you do have native Windows applicatons which you need, it is possible to do a full Linux install and then put a Windows OS into VirtualBox, so Linux is the main system and Windows acts like any other program. By tweaking the settings and drivers, it's possible to use USB devices (e.g. an iPod) in VirtualBox under Linux - that's how I got round the fact that Apple does not support Linux, and I have a load of tunes that I want to be able to move on to my iPod on occasion, create playlists and so on.

si_c

Guru
I dumped Windows 10 for Lubuntu because of the endless updates that rendered my computer unusable. It's faster and crashes are the exception not the norm.

In recent years (since XP SP2 really) there has been no real difference in stability and performance of either GNU/Linux or Windows OSs on modern hardware. Lots of the complaints were people trying to use a modern OS on old hardware (Vista) or unhappy with a UI change (8/8.1). I've used Linux since 1996 and as a main OS for a lot of that time, though nowadays I switch between W10 and Arch routinely depending on what I want to do, Gaming is on Windows as it's better for that, a lot of my work I do in Linux as it's better for that. Never have crashes or drops in performance on either.

Edit to add: If you install lots of crap on your W10 install then expect poor performance, same as if you run lots of programs at once on a Linux system as well, the only difference is that with a Linux based system it's marginally harder to install shitty programs which hog resources.

bruce1530

Guru
Windows 10 is just an "umbrella name".
There are 2 new Win10 releases each year - one a major/feature release, one a minor/patch release. They're all called "Windows 10", and Microsoft brand them as a natural evolution of the product. But internally, they treat every release of Win10 as a new product.
So in saying "there will be no more Win10, it's going to be called something else" - that's not really a technical decision, it's more of a branding and marketing thing.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
But support for W10 is going to stop, so we will all have to totally upgrade our systems, and we know how many problems that will cause, because however much beta testing they do it still cannot replicate the billions of different uses that the system is required for.

Top Bottom