The end of Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
But support for W10 is going to stop, so we will all have to totally upgrade our systems, and we know how many problems that will cause, because however much beta testing they do it still cannot replicate the billions of different uses that the system is required for.
No, you'll just move on to windows 11 or whatever. Windows is in a continuous development cycle now, that's what MS meant when they said no more versions of Windows, it's all the same version. This will just be a feature release with an accompanying branding refresh, Windows 10 Lemon Fresh if you will.

bruce1530

Guru
But support for W10 is going to stop, so we will all have to totally upgrade our systems, and we know how many problems that will cause, because however much beta testing they do it still cannot replicate the billions of different uses that the system is required for.
Support for the earlier releases of Win10 has already stopped. It's an evolution. Old stuff becomes obsolete.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Windows is still annoying for various reasons, but it handles updates and upgrades with aplomb.
My sons computer started as Windows 8.1, was moved from an HDD to an SSD, then to a new motherboard (completely new chipset and CPU including a change from AMD to Intel architecture), and is on it's 3rd gfx card.
At some point it had an "in place upgrade" to Windows 10 (not a reinstall), and many monthly patches and bi-annual OS updates. All without missing a beat, and it gets a lot of use. A hell of a lot of use.

You're absolutely right that a new OS is a significant change, not guaranteed to be painless, but the upgrade process and "plug and play" capability is light-years ahead of what it once was.

tyred

Legendary Member
My laptop came with 8.1 and I never bothered with the upgrade to 10. It's the best and most stable version of Windows that I have experienced.

I used to use Linux but see no real point any more as a modern Windows installation seems to be just as stable.

carpiste

Guru
To be honest the loss of win10 isn`t a great issue when you know that whatever they replace it with will be well supported and popular.
If I was to WANT a change it would be for a less intrusive version of google!

I dumped Windows years ago and went to Macs.
The other system I regularly use, are a number of Raspberry Pi's including the Raspberry Pi 400 This easily runs a Linux OS. The OS I use on mine is TwisterOS which has themes to look like Wins95, WinsXP, MacOS, etc.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Does this mean I'm going to have to retire the Windows 2000 PC I have running in the garage ?

si_c

Guru
Does this mean I'm going to have to retire the Windows 2000 PC I have running in the garage ?
If it's connected to the internet, then you really should. It's long outside it's update lifecycle and it's security will be inadequate. Even if you do nothing particularly sensitive with it, someone could potentially hi-jack it and use it for all sorts of things.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
So do you reckon it will just be a seamless switch? One of those "Update and restart" messages?
Yes in theory.
Microsoft usually release a Compatibility Checker tool, which scans for unsupported hardware, etc. Worth looking out for that.

And back up your precious files before trying any upgrade!

I dumped Windows 10 for Lubuntu because of the endless updates that rendered my computer unusable. It's faster and crashes are the exception not the norm.
This is what has always puzzled me. I've never had a crashy experience with any version of Windows that wasn't caused by hardware. For me, it has always just worked...from 3.1 onwards. The only big hiccup was 95/98, which had a problem with (then) large amounts of memory. If you approached 1GB of ram, the OS used all the memory trying to keep track of...the memory.

mustang1

Guru
BBC News - Windows 10 to be retired in 2025, as new OS unveils
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598
Wasn't W10 supposed last forever?
"Forever" has different meaning when used with the marketing folk. Similar words are "lifetime" as in lifetime warranty only to find out it was "reasonable life of the car" (5 years, or perhaps 5 months for some cars), "free phonecalls" as in "pay us monthly, and we'll give you free phone calls" or "lifetime servicing" to mean "the life of your PCP contract, typically 3 years".

"Forever" in the software industry is a bit like those insects that only live for a day. To them (and marketing folk :wacko:), it's a lifetime, but to normal people, not so much.

Top Bottom