The end of Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I have been thinking about going down the Linux route. Has anyone on here got experience of it?
Yes. Years ago, it was a great OS for when you are retired or unemployed, in other words, you had plenty of time to fix things. These days it's much better and I hear Linux aficionados say things like "it's getting better all the time" much less frequently (now that it has finally got better).

It's used a lot in movies these days, like those hacker type of movies (esp in Mr Robot where it was very suitable) and they have lots of text and stuff like that showing up and scrolling on the screen. It's more realistic and far better than the old movies that said "Enter password" plastered across the ENTIRE SCREEN.

Ok, back on point. Yes, it's a good OS and it will keep you interested for a long time as there is plenty to find out under the hood but you can choose not to if you just want to work on your apps. Whatever OS you use, keep it up-to-date.

Chris S

Legendary Member
In recent years (since XP SP2 really) there has been no real difference in stability and performance of either GNU/Linux or Windows OSs on modern hardware.
My Lenovo ThinkPad came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I didn't install any other software. It was my third ThinkPad and it will be my last.

mustang1

Guru
I dumped Windows 10 for Lubuntu because of the endless updates that rendered my computer unusable. It's faster and crashes are the exception not the norm.
Uhm, i had the exact opposite experience. I've had updates and the computer continues to work flawlessly. I must have had at least one or two bugchecks, I must have, but I really cannot recall them.

tyred

Legendary Member
From my experience in the late 90s/2000s personal Linux systems used to be an enormous PITA requiring lots of tech skills and admin faff to install and keep them afloat. I've read (but don't know) that this is more friendly these days.

Now your choice is more on branding and what appeals to you & what is your self-image. Cool cat? Get a Mac. Rebellious Nerd? Go for Linux. Not interested and prepared to accept the default? Stay with Windows.

I think that's the point. In the good old days of Win95 and 98 I was a bit of technology geek and lived most of my life messing around with computers, fixing them for other people, buying and selling a little and I enjoyed messing around with Linux.

Then I discovered the outside world, and now wouldn't have either the time or inclination to mess around with this stuff any more (and my technological knowledge has lapsed so much I probably couldn't any more). My Windows installation has worked flawlessly straight out of the box and continues to do what I want it to do, I have no need to mess with it and have no interest in doing so as I'd rather ride my bike. I suspect the majority of computer (or car, or bike or any other product) users are the same.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went to the free update to 10, it didn't last a day before I 'restored' to 7 Don't know whether is's running 7 or a shell version of 10

BTW this one only get's used for internet searchs, watching youtube or waffling on here, any financial stuff we do over the phone or on Maz's i Pad

rrarider

Veteran
I have been thinking about going down the Linux route. Has anyone on here got experience of it?
When I bought a new laptop about 7 years ago, it came with Windows, so I dual-booted it to install Ubuntu alongside. I rarely used the Windows option, as all my development work went on the Linux side.
My general purpose desktop machine which is quite old, ran Windows Vista, which is now not supported by many applications, including Norton anti-virus. I need that machine for e-mail and general browsing, plus Vuescan. I decided to dump Windows and install Ubuntu on the machine and have no regrets at all. I added lots of old format memory to boost it to 6GB and a second non-SSD 500Gb disk drive, which were both secondhand and very cheap. The only real expense was upgrading Vuescan to the Pro Linux version. Everything works well, e-mail, Libre Office for word processing, database, spreadsheet etc and is all FREE and comes as a built in.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm still running W7. Been thinking about upgrading to W10 but now I'm not so sure. My "not connected to the internet machine" runs XP. But I hardly ever turn that on.

B*gg*r as I'm not up to speed on DiY computery at all like wot I read some of you expert cycle chatters are. :sad:

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I'm still running W7. Been thinking about upgrading to W10 but now I'm not so sure
So was I. I resisted the temptation but support for W7 stopped so I did the free upgrade. Fine, apart from the fact that I finished up with a hardrive over 90% full.
I got a techy mate to install a 1 trilobite HD to prevent any future problems. I suspect whatever replaces W10 will eat even more disc space.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is what has always puzzled me. I've never had a crashy experience with any version of Windows that wasn't caused by hardware. For me, it has always just worked...from 3.1 onwards. The only big hiccup was 95/98, which had a problem with (then) large amounts of memory. If you approached 1GB of ram, the OS used all the memory trying to keep track of...the memory.

Same here - been running Windows OS since the 92 or 95 variant (more likely 92 but my memory is hazy).

We currently run 2 Lenovo and 1 old HP laptops all with Windows 10 and they all simply work. The updates have been seamless and the built in virus etc protection has been brilliant too.

In fact the only problem we ever had was on a Dell laptop years ago with Saska (?) which I think was a worm - might be wrong there. The Dell was supposedly protected by Norton.

Never understood the big deal re Apple products either at their IMHO OTT prices - we did borrow an iMac some while ago for a test drive but were left puzzling as to what the fuss was about.

Top Bottom